Job Title: Lead, Stakeholder Communications
Reporting to: Head, Marketing
Location: Durham, NC Headquarters or Remote
About Pairwise: Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role: The successful Lead, Stakeholder Communications will build productive relationships within key stakeholder audiences, notably the Produce Industry, NGOs, and Policy Makers, to drive awareness of the company’s mission and work, and to support the path-to-market for the company’s products. The Lead, Stakeholder Communications will create high impact strategies, compelling narratives and implementable plans with the Pairwise Marketing & Communications team, stakeholder partners, and an external communications agency, resulting in awareness, engagement, and positive sentiment in the marketplace. Further, the Lead, Stakeholder Communications will work hand-in-hand with the company’s Leadership Team on key corporate initiatives, including CSR and sustainability strategies. This position requires up to 20% travel.
- Develop productive, high-level relationships with defined stakeholder audiences, including the Produce Industry, NGOs, Policy Makers, and the Nutrition field.
- Own corporate social responsibility (CSR) efforts (in concert with CFO); establish strategy, messaging, & implement long-term plan.
- Identify and forge relationships with stakeholder leaders and organizations, ensuring a “seat at the table” for Pairwise, its mission, and its work at key discussions, policy sessions, and events.
- Lead team in partnering with Regulatory and Quality team to support policy communications.
- Develop and oversee implementation of stakeholder plan for Industry and Channel audiences.
- Create a communications vision; develop and oversee the implementation of winning strategies that support that vision.
- Develop compelling narratives with stakeholder partners and communications agency, in both media outreach, new shareable content (e.g. white papers, videos), and paid media strategies.
- Conduct research and gain support from academic and mission-related partners.
- Develop thought leadership presentations and content for industry events or stakeholder groups.
- Collaborate with Commercial VPs and their teams to ensure successful product launches.
- Become an active and valued opinion leader with key stakeholders, including NGOs, trade associations, and other partners.
- Represent the company at industry and stakeholder events, such as panel discussions or industry committees
- Work hand-in-hand with Leadership Team to support development of strong external storytelling, thereby building the Pairwise brand.
- Manage strategic consultants and external spokespeople to drive progress against communications goals.
Desired Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, liberal arts, communications, management, or marketing. Master’s degree a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in communications, media relations, public relations, or industry relations in business or non-profit organizations, with at least 6 years in a managerial role.
- Produce industry experience a plus; industry association relationships a plus.
- Experience with commercializing emerging technology a plus.
- Experience working in digital formats, including blogs, websites, social media, and video.
- Experience developing high-impact Powerpoint and/or TED Talk format presentations.
- Strong written and verbal communicator (both in-person and virtual)
- Working knowledge of CMS, Google Analytics, Social Media Dashboards, and eCRM platforms.
- A team player with the ability to create win-win relationships with colleagues, consultants, and agency partners.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HAS/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Uncapped PTO, in addition to company holidays
- Casual work environment.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.