Job Title: Research Associate
Reporting to: Lead, Molecular Biology
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is looking to hire a motivated research associate to join our molecular biology team to help achieve a broad set of scientific goals as we develop one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. We are looking for an associate with bachelor or master’s level training with the ability to work independently, think creatively, and function as a valuable part of the team. The successful candidate will support scientists across the organization as well as within the team by utilizing molecular techniques to perform cutting edge experiments. Their role will directly support the invention and optimization of novel genome editing tools as a part of the creation of a state-of-the-art genome editing pipeline. Additionally, they will support a robust vector pipeline responsible for the production and QC of vectors used in our tool development and plant trait pipelines. They will be a part of a team responsible for the continued development of a vector pipeline that supports custom cloning projects through a wide range of cloning methods, including a state-of-the-art robotic cloning platform. Their contributions will be critical to helping Pairwise meet a set of aggressive targets and continuing to build a culture where science can be fun.
- Work closely with team members to ensure the vector production and QC pipeline meets required timelines while also ensuring a high-quality standard.
- Utilize molecular skills to support a state-of-the-art vector cloning pipeline.
- Execute and influence experimental plans to support scientific strategies across the R&D organization.
- Coordinate with other team members to perform daily lab tasks in support of the vector QC pipeline.
- Apply experience and innovation to drive continuous optimization and improvements in standard processes that support the team’s functions.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biology or any biological discipline requiring an understanding of molecular techniques.
- Previous lab work experience and demonstrated skills in molecular biology techniques.
- Demonstrated experience with molecular cloning techniques.
- Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
- Ability to work and manage time independently.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.