Job Title: Staff Accountant
Reporting to: Controller
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is seeking a detail-oriented staff accountant to join the accounting operations team. Working closely with the finance and business teams (commercial, supply chain, R&D, human resources, business operations, etc.), the staff accountant will support several key business processes, including procure-to-pay, payroll and expense reimbursement and record-to-report. Additionally, the staff accountant will support several key projects and initiatives, including annual audit, tax compliance, internal control design and process improvement reviews. This is a great opportunity for someone who is process-oriented, results-driven and thrives in a growing and dynamic company.
- Manage the procure-to-pay function that includes timely processing of vendor invoices, coordinating with our third-party procurement agent, and preparing the annual 1099 filing.
- Perform the payroll function, including preparing the semi-monthly exempt and bi-weekly non-exempt payroll submissions, coordinating with human resources during employee onboarding, ensuring special pay provisions are processed timely and recording payroll in the general ledger system.
- Manage the expense report reimbursement process to include providing administrator support of the expense reimbursement application to employees, timely processing of expense reimbursements and ensuring expense reimbursements are recorded in the general ledger.
- Support the month-end close process by preparing accrual estimates, managing the fixed asset system, reconciling key accounts and other closing entries as assigned.
- Assist in developing financial reports and analysis, as needed.
- Prepare schedules and other supporting documentation for the annual audit and tax compliance work.
- Ensure internal controls over respective areas are operating effectively.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- 3+ years of accounting experience, including accounts payable, payroll and general ledger
- Experience with NetSuite or equivalent ERP system
- Understanding of US GAAP standards
- Advanced Microsoft Excel, including pivot tables, lookups, etc.
- Ability to manage time and priorities effectively
- High degree of ethics and integrity
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven track record working in a remote or hybrid work model
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.