Job Title: Manager, Corporate Development
Reporting to: Head, Business Development
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA (Remote optional)
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
We are looking for a curious and driven individual to be a key member of the Corporate Development team. This will be a high-profile role and will help shape the Corporate Development team in identifying and executing on strategic partnerships, joint ventures, acquisitions or other strategic relationships.
You can successfully own projects in an ambiguous environment and are comfortable with shifting priorities. We need you to be a team member who knows how to establish collaborative relationships in a matrixed organization, to scrutinize relevant information and have the insight needed to judiciously vet ideas and business cases. You are comfortable developing financial models and managing the due diligence process. Long-term impact is what motivates you, so you are always thinking about how to make things happen.
- Identify and source opportunities, including analysis for strategic fit in coordination with R&D and commercial teams.
- Develop qualitative and quantitative assessments, including financial modeling, comparables, and other valuation tools to create scenarios and options to support negotiations and internal decision-making, in collaboration with finance, R&D, and commercial. Synthesize into clear analysis of the opportunity for presentation to senior leadership.
- Working with R&D and commercial, develop understandings of relative strengths and weaknesses of the company and make recommendations based on these analyses.
- Structures and negotiates deals, including coordinating diligence, managing to the timeline, and organizing the information to support the business decision.
- Work with teams to prepare presentations to management and the Board.
- Maintains an understanding of deal trends and competitive landscape and recommends actions in light of the same.
Required Education & Experience:
- 4-6 years of relevant experience, including 2-3 years in a corporate development role.
- Bachelor’s degree; Masters in business or similar a plus.
- Ability to present complex concepts in a clear, concise manner
- Ability to quickly ramp up on new projects and demonstrated structured problem solving.
- Ability to perform rigorous financial, valuation, and broad quantitative analyses and familiarity with accounting & key operational metrics.
- Must have strong knowledge/experience with food or agriculture.
- Must have a results-oriented work ethic.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.