Job Title: Lead, Post Harvest Physiology
Reporting to: Head, Product Development
Location: Durham, NC or Salinas Area, CA, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
This role is responsible for taking edited and unedited plant material through post-harvest testing and validation. Responsibilities include working with agronomy to optimize growth and harvest procedures to ensure the best finished good, optimizing respiration rates, optimizing post-harvest processing and handling, and selecting and developing packaging options. This role will be involved cradle to grave in the product development process.
- Responsible for the development of our post-harvest handling and processing, packaging, and shelf-life practices.
- Manage internal and external research activities as well as work with contract research organizations to deliver data that leads to fresh, long shelf-life products.
- Work closely with the product development team to understand product specifications and help the product achieve them.
- Communicate clearly with external commercial partners to train and help them understand best practices and protocols for our products.
- Support understanding of product fit and targets throughout the overall R&D organization.
- Work as a member of the product development leadership team to effectively manage the organization.
Required Education & Experience:
- PhD or Masters plus equivalent experience in a technical field.
- 5+ years experience managing scientific and product development organizations.
- Strong track record of delivering research outcomes tied to business objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large teams and create organizational clarity.
- Experience with leafy green is a plus.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
EEO Statement: We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.