Job Title: Food Scientist
Reporting to: Lead, Food Science
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
This role is responsible for helping to develop and execute on our food science strategy. Specifically, bringing to the forefront of our product development aspects of sensory and nutrition. Must be an advocate for the consumer experience and work closely with the marketing team to understand consumer insights and help translate them into our product concepts. Work with team members throughout the R&D pipeline to create winning products. Experience with leafy greens and fresh produce is strongly preferred.
• Responsible for generating data in house and with contract research organizations that supports label claims and nutritional claims.
• Run consumer sensory panels.
• Develop internal sensory panels.
• Develop product sensory profiles and mockups to meet those profiles.
• Develops sensory profile of key products and help configure products to achieve consumer delight.
• Create products that are appealing to the senses and resonate with target market segments.
• Work hand in glove with the commercial team to identify key product configurations.
• Support understanding of product fit and targets throughout the overall R&D organization.
• Work as a member of the food science team to effectively manage our food science activities across the organization.
Required Education & Experience:
• PhD (strongly preferred) or Masters plus equivalent experience in a technical field.
• 2+ years experience managing scientific and product development organizations.
• Strong track record of delivering research outcomes tied to business objectives.
• Demonstrated ability to manage large teams and create organizational clarity.
• Experience with leafy green and fresh produce is a plus.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
EEO Statement: We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.