Job Title: Lead, Brand Marketing
Reporting to: Head, Marketing & Communications
Location: Durham, NC (hybrid remote/on-site possible)
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Our team is looking for a strategic, dynamic brand marketing leader to shape our consumer brand and product strategy. This position offers the rare opportunity to develop and launch our company’s first consumer-facing brand and products – to develop the brand strategy, positioning, and consumer marketing strategy in the exciting area of gene edited produce. The successful candidate will:
- Have a strong track record of launching differentiated brands and products
- Be a visionary creative thinker capable of championing breakthrough and high-performing consumer campaigns
- Be adept at fielding and interpreting consumer research, as well as mining marketing analytics in order to drive insight-based strategies and decisions
- Be a skilled verbal and written communicator who can build support for their ideas, drive progress toward organizational goals, and build win-win relationships with cross-functional partners
- Be energized by the fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture of our mission-driven company
• Consumer Portfolio Brand Strategy:
- In conjunction with the Head, Marketing and Communications, develop brand strategy, vision, and positioning for all Pairwise consumer brands and products.
- Cultivate productive relationships with Commercial Vice Presidents, including aligning on brand strategy and plan implementation.
- Lead the annual brand planning process for the Marketing and Communications team.
- Oversee the development of go-to-market launch plans for our Leafy Greens and Berry product lines, including working closely with go-to-market partners, agencies, and consultants.
- Co-lead development of channel sell-in presentations and assets; participate in customer sell-in presentations as needed.
• Consumer Research and Insights
- Lead all brand and product consumer research, both qualitative and quantitative, and ensure that the broader team understands the application of all research to company, brand, and product strategies.
- Develop and evolve consumer personas for identified priority targets.
- Bring forward new perspectives steeped in understanding of consumer behavior and attitudes.
• Consumer Messaging and Content
- Oversee all consumer brand creative development and testing, including digital, social, video, and print, in conjunction with Marketing and Communications team and agency partners.
- Oversee development of brand identity, including packaging graphics.
- Develop approach and build support for eCRM/loyalty marketing efforts.
- Understand key drivers along the marketing funnel.
- Utilize A/B testing and other techniques to evaluate and optimize marketing messages.
- Negotiate and manage cause-related marketing partnerships and programs.
• Marketing Analytics and Pricing
- Understand and apply category / brand panel data (buy rate, HH penetration, etc.) and syndicated POS data to business strategies and decisions in conjunction with Lead, Trade Marketing and Category Management.
- Work with category product teams and Lead, Trade Marketing to evaluate category pricing and establish brand/product pricing and promotion strategies.
- Understand key marketing KPIs and assess ROI of major marketing activities; present findings to company leadership on an ongoing basis.
Required Education & Experience:
- 10+ years in brand or product marketing for either CPG or start-up food brands, or 10+ years in strategic/account management for CPG brand(s) on the agency side.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred.
- Annual brand or marketing plan development experience a must.
- Experience with development/oversight of different elements of the marketing mix: advertising, digital, social media, influencers, consumer promotion, shopper marketing, and eCRM is essential.
- Syndicated data experience (Nielsen, IRI, SPINS) required.
- Experience with consumer market research, such as claims, concept, willingness-to-pay, and copy testing.
- Experience working with marketing departments of major retailers a plus.
- E-commerce or DTC experience a plus.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment. • Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
EEO Statement: We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.