Job Title: Sr. Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis
Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is seeking a Senior Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis to partner with the CFO, Commercial Heads and Controller. This new position is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is a process- and results-oriented person, passionate about the type of work Pairwise is doing, and looking to apply your significant finance and analytical experience to help play a critical role in the growth and scalability of our organization at an important inflection point in our history. In addition, the preferred candidate will have experience building complex, yet dynamic, financial and demand forecasting models, and synthesizing data into actionable recommendations. This person will have a proven track record of successfully being the finance partner to stakeholders across multiple corporate functions and will develop close relationships cross-organizationally with finance, accounting and business teams (Commercial, Marketing, Supply Chain, R&D, Customer Service, Business Operations, etc.) to drive business and financial planning, while also remaining mindful of the Pairwise long-term mission, acting as a steward of company resources, and continuously identifying opportunities for process improvements and re-design to drive increased efficiency and productivity.
- Drive demand and revenue planning in preparation for near-term and medium-term product launches, including monitoring of internal and external pricing and market conditions.
- Prepare or assist in preparation of critical financial deliverables, including regular sales, P&L and cashflow forecasts, as well as dynamic scenario analysis to evaluate the impact of potential business and operating model shifts.
- Develop financial and operational metrics and key performance indicators to measure overall business performance, consistently monitoring and reporting on variance relative to forecast.
- Conduct regular internal review meetings to provide insights to finance, commercial and supply chain leadership based upon results-oriented analysis.
- Support development of detailed annual and long range financial and operating planning and budgeting process, including capital allocation at category, business unit, and corporate levels.
- Partner with finance team to ensure relevant accounting procedures and controls are in place and operating, as well as requirements for US GAAP are fulfilled.
- Collaborate with IT to leverage technology, such as business intelligence tools and data warehouses, to increase efficiency in the analysis and reporting of results and improve forecasting through automation and system optimization.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance; MBA or CPA preferred.
- 5+ years progressive experience in Finance and Accounting, with significant FP&A exposure; experience in food production, produce, or CPG industries strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail, with an ability to create reports and analysis using Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience with management reporting and analysis, including building three-statement financial models and working with ERP systems (i.e. NetSuite) and business intelligence tools (i.e. Tableau).
- Working knowledge of visualization and/or statistical packages, applied in building visualizations and dashboards to help stakeholders make data-based informed decisions.
- Experience with annual planning and financial strategy development.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including capabilities for developing and presenting analyses and insights to senior leadership.
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment and gain the cooperation of individuals across a matrixed organization with multiple partners.
- Strong organizational skills, with a proven ability to perform in a fast-paced environment, often with tight deadlines, and prioritize workloads in an ambiguous environment.
- Learning agility with capability to learn and work in a technically complex field, specifically biotechnology and agronomics.
- Prior experience within a start-up or entrepreneurial environment, preferred.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.