Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role: Pairwise is seeking a highly motivated, organized, process-oriented and results driven research associate to join the transformation team. The successful candidate will have knowledge and hands-on experience in media preparation, micropropagation and genetic transformation. The role is a lab-based position, the individual will contribute to meeting our aggressive goals and building a culture where science can be fun.
- Routinely perform tissue culture and transformation of vegetable crops in a plant production pipeline.
- Prepare media and stock solutions of media components as needed.
- Develop research plans in collaboration with scientists and team, execute experiments and share the results in timely manner.
- Take observations, collect, and record data in electronic notebook.
- Develop skill sets and bring new techniques and methodologies relevant to the project.
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams for material handoffs and to find new insights.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in plant biology, plant science, plant biotechnology or related subject.
- 1-2 Years of experience with aseptic techniques, plant tissue culture and transformation, preferably in vegetable crops.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignment and easy transitioning to new assignments in rapidly changing work environment.
- Capable of proactively identifying problem research areas, troubleshooting and finding solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
- Additional experience in LIMS for data recording, tracking, and lab automation is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safety practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
- Ability to work independently on individual experiments.
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
EEO Statement: We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.