Job Title: Manager, Seed Production (R&D)
Reporting to: Head, R&D Operations
Location: Durham, NC/ Salinas, CA/ Yuma, AZ
Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
As the Manager of R&D Seed Production, your primary responsibility will be owning seed production activities for R&D, from new edited breeder lines through Foundation and Pre-Commercial seed handoffs. As part of this, you will work closely with the Regulatory, Quality, and Supply Chain teams to help define quality metrics and ensure seed quality advancement requirements are fulfilled. As a key responsibility, you will collaborate cross-functionally in our matrixed environment with the Technical Product Commercialization team to help define metrics and work to generate field data, optimize growing protocols, and prepare growing guides for growers. You will be responsible for seamless execution of internal and external seed production trials, with a near term focus on open and indoor leafy green trials in the West Coast.
- Own seed production activities for R&D. Ensure the highest quality production of Breeder, Foundation and Pre-Commercial Seed.
- Develop strategies to rapidly fix new edits into finished lines for handoff to commercial production, including collaborations with Regulatory, Quality, and Supply Chain teams.
- In conjunction with Seed Supply Chain Lead, ensure Foundation Seed inventory can fulfill seed quantity demands for Product delivery.
- In conjunction with Technical Product Commercialization team, plan and execute field operations to develop best agronomic practices for seed production, with a near term focus on leafy greens.
- Build lasting CRO partnerships to deliver highest quality seed production.
- Establish contracts and help with any conflict resolutions with growers.
- Design, develop and deploy strategies to support overall vegetable seed production endeavors. Provide insight into the development of vegetable crop traits.
- Develop Seed Resource Management for the company including seed inventory for production planning.
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams to discover new insights and drive the innovation culture.
- Capture, analyze, and monitor data in internal systems and present to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with universities and other scientific organizations to bring diverse thought into Pairwise.
Required Education & Experience:
- PhD/MS or equivalent experience in Horticultural Science, Plant Physiology, Plant Science, Crop Science, Seed Physiology, Field Operations or related field.
- Experience working with development of vegetable products in the West Coast. Experience in leafy green product development or production is a plus.
- Experience with vegetable production in different cropping environments.
- Experience working and negotiating with CROs and farmers to establish field trials.
- Strong track record of formulating field research and developing and executing novel systems and tools in vegetable production.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and strategic analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver and communicate scientific results in a cross functional environment.
- Experience with trait introgression and marker assisted breeding is highly desirable.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.