Job Title: Scientist, Molecular Biology
Reporting to: Lead, Molecular Biology
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
About Pairwise: Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role: Pairwise is seeking a highly-dedicated research scientist to join the Trait and Tool Delivery – Molecular Biology team and be part of technology and product development. The molecular biology research scientist will join a dynamic team responsible for designing and applying state-of-the-art genome editing tools to a diverse set of crop plants. The successful candidate will be expected to apply their expert knowledge of genome editing and vector design to deliver constructs for both tool optimization/development and trait editing purposes. The molecular biology scientist will work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment towards team and company goals. Their contributions will be critical to help Pairwise meet technology and product development goals, and to build a culture where science is fun.
- In collaboration with scientists across the R&D organization, design and build highly efficient gene editing vectors to achieve trait development goals in a wide range of plant species.
- Develop and lead projects, in collaboration with the entire R&D organization, to drive discovery of new technologies and optimizations that increase the efficiency of cutting-edge gene editing tools in plants.
- Collaborate closely with molecular, protein, and delivery technology scientists in an innovative culture and contribute towards optimization and creation of world-class research capabilities in plant gene editing.
- Work closely with other staff scientists and research associates to establish and maintain reliable lab processes that fill critical R&D goals for genome editing technologies.
- Advise on allele strategies to achieve trait goals in diverse crops.
Required Education & Experience:
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Cell Biology or related field with preference for a demonstrated track record of success in understanding and editing DNA in plants.
- Preference for plant biology experience and/or industrial research experience.
- Track record of excellence in formulating and executing research leading to novel insights, preferably utilizing gene editing techniques.
- Extensive experience with state-of-the-art techniques in vector construction including golden gate assembly.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and contribute collaboratively in a cross functional environment.
- Command of molecular biology methodologies and enzymology used in nucleic acid manipulations, including CRISPR/Cas.
- Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records and notebooks such as working in Benchling or similar LIMs environment.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.