Job Title: Research Associate – Trait Testing
Reporting to: Lead, Trait Testing
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
About Pairwise: Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is looking to hire a motivated research associate to join our trait testing organization to help achieve a broad set of scientific goals and be part of our developing and scientific strategy. We are looking for an associate with bachelor or master’s level training and the ability to work independently, think creatively, and function as a valuable part of the team. Your contributions will be critical to helping Pairwise meet a set of aggressive targets and continuing to build a culture where science can be fun.
- Work closely with scientists to develop scientific strategy.
- Contribute to trait testing activities to enable product discovery and development.
- Conduct, analyze and interpret molecular and phenotypic data.
- Measure phenotypic traits in controlled environment.
- Develop and execute trait testing assays and methods.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with lab, controlled environment, and field teams.
- Develop SOPs and catalog data into internal systems.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelors or master’s degree in a relevant field such as Botany, Crop Science, Plant Sciences, Agriculture, Genetics, Biotechnology or Agronomy.
- Experience with hands-on molecular biology experiments is a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large team setting.
- Ability to work and manage time independently.
- Passion for working with plants.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.