Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stonefruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About this Role:
Pairwise is seeking a highly motivated, organized, outcome- driven research associate to join the Transformation team. The successful candidate with knowledge and hands-on experience in plant tissue culture and genetic transformation will work with team focused on creating better fruits and vegetables. The individual will contribute to the edited plant production pipeline focused on recovering better fruits in addition to building a culture where science can be fun.
- Setup Agrobacterium mediated transformation experiments to meet the targets, take observations, collect data, maintain records, tracking systems and share the results with key stakeholders.
- Work closely with transformation and cross functional teams to develop experimental strategy related to plant tissue culture and transformation using Agrobacterium in caneberries and execute them.
- Propagate in vitro source materials to meet plant production pipeline needs.
- Prepare stock solutions and media for tissues culture and plant transformation experiments.
- Assist in establishing plant production pipeline, related metrics and KPI’s to monitor the pipeline performance.
Education & Experience:
- 2 years’ experience in a tissue culture lab or Bachelor’s degree in plant biology, plant science, plant biotechnology or related subject.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignments and easy transitioning to new assignments in rapidly changing work environment.
- Capable of proactively identifying problem research areas, troubleshooting and finding solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safety practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
- Ability to work independently on individual experiments.
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication.
- Experience with aseptic conditions, handling plant tissues and plant transformation in woody plant species.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.