Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stonefruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
Pairwise is looking for a CRISPR-focused NGS Bioinformatics Scientist with strong software engineering skills who will be responsible to build out software for our molecular screening pipelines to evaluate our novel editing tools. This role will play a key part in laying the foundation and infrastructure for scalable workflows for data capture, tracking, processing and analytic visualizations in the cloud for all Pairwise R&D data.
- Minimum of Bachelors degree (Masters or PhD preferred) in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology or related fields
- Strong track record of building NGS analysis tools (experience in the CRISPR domain building tools like CRISPResso is a plus)
- Experience with all stages of next generation sequence analysis: quality control, genome alignment, variant calling, variant annotation, etc.
- Experience with multiple sequencing platforms (e.g. Illumina, Ion/Proton, PacBio, Oxford Nanopore) is a plus.
- Proficiency with MySql, Postgres or noSQL technologies
- Advanced Knowledge of Python and ability to build in frameworks like Flask, Dash, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver tools in a cross functional environment
- Experience with building and maintaining APIs is a plus
- Experience leveraging machine learning in bioinformatics is a plus
- Collaborate with molecular biologists on analysis of NGS data for development of new products for a wide range of applications
- Evaluate NGS data analysis methods published in peer-reviewed literature, and extend them to develop and deploy state-of-the-art NGS data analysis solutions
- Use data analysis to refine and optimize the design of assays (e.g. PCR primers)
- Develop automated analysis reports or live dashboards that include visualizations that clearly provides feedback (e.g. editing efficiency, run metrics) to various design and functional teams
- Develop the above software by pulling data from our data systems, analyzing and writing back into data systems using APIs