Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stonefruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
Pairwise is seeking to hire a motivated candidate into its Trait Development group to help achieve core aspects of the company’s R&D platform and be part of developing our scientific strategy. We are looking for candidates with at least Bachelor’s degree level training with the ability to work independently and as part of the team. Core responsibilities include applying state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques in support of a quantitative high throughput plant next generation sequencing and qPCR pipeline. Your contribution will be critical to developing and expanding our molecular screening pipeline. You will employ various next generation sequencing workflows from library construction to sequencing for platforms including Illumina Miseq, Oxford Nanopore and PacBio Sequel in order to meet aggressive targets amidst a culture where science is fun.
Summary of Job Responsibilities
- Develop, optimize and maintain a robust and reliable molecular screening pipeline that enables critical R&D goals to be met for genome editing technologies
- Bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams to enable facile communication accelerating goal achievement
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biology or any biological discipline requiring lab work and
- Significant previous lab work and industry experience and demonstrated skills in next generation sequencing
- Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks
- Previous experience operating/programing liquid handlers or automated laboratory equipment for setting up high throughput molecular assays is of high interest.
- Proven abilities in developing and optimizing assays for reliable routine use within a pipeline
- Experience monitoring/reporting key performance indicators within a workflow
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting
- Ability to work and manage time independently