Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stonefruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
Pairwise is seeking a highly motivated, organized, process-oriented and results driven research associate to join the Transformation team. The successful candidate will have knowledge and hands-on experience in large-scale media preparation and plant tissue culture. The role is a lab-based position, the individual will contribute in meeting our goals and building a culture where science can be fun.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain the reagent and supplies inventory required for media preparation and plant transformation.
- Routinely prepare media and stock solutions at large scale to fulfill the needs of plant production and R&D transformation team.
- Develop and maintain record keeping and tracking systems, metrics and KPI’s to monitor the performance of the media preparation team.
- Support tissue culture and transformation experiments.
- Work closely with scientists to develop experimental strategy for targeted areas and bring those plans to life.
- Develop skill sets and bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere.
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams to find new insights.
- Technical Capacity.
- Decision Making.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Results Driven.
- Team player.
- Oral/written communication.
Required Education and Experience
- Experience with large scale solution, stocks and media preparation for plant tissue culture and genetic transformation.
- Experience with aseptic techniques, plant tissue culture and transformation.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignment and easy transitioning to new assignments in rapidly changing work environment.
- Capable of proactively identifying problem research areas, troubleshooting and finding solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safety practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
- Ability to work independently on individual experiments.
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 1 to 2 years of lab experience working in a laboratory.
- Hands on experience with media preparation for plant tissue culture and transformation.
- Experience with tracking of reagents and chemical inventory.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working approximately 40 hours per week.