Pairwise believes healthy food should be affordable, convenient, and sustainable. We believe gene editing can be used to accelerate plant breeding in leveraging the natural genetic diversity in agricultural crops to address global food challenges. We are bringing the benefits of these new innovations both to producers and directly to consumers through the produce aisle of their local grocery store. Located in the Raleigh-Durham metro area Pairwise was formed in 2017 and has plans to add about 100 employees over the next year to help meet our aggressive product development goals.
Pairwise is looking to hire a motivated senior research associate into its controlled environment organization to help achieve a broad set of scientific goals and be part of our developing and scientific strategy. We are looking for an associate with bachelor or master’s level training and the ability to work independently and as part of the team. Your contribution will be critical to helping Pairwise meet a set of aggressive targets and building a culture where science can be fun.
- Routinely perform large scale media preparation based on transformation needs.
- Routinely perform large scale micropropagation to generate source plant materials for production pipeline.
- Work in high throughput plant production pipeline and generate transformed plants through Agrobacterium mediated transformation and/or particle gun bombardment method.
- Work closely with scientists to develop experimental strategy for targeted areas and bring those plans to life.
- Develop skill sets and bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere.
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams to find new insights.
- Technical Capacity.
- Decision Making.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Results Driven.
- Team player.
- Oral/written communication.
Required Education and Experience
- 1-2 years of lab experience in the field plant biology, plant science, plant biotechnology or related subject.
- Experience with aseptic techniques, plant tissue culture and transformation.
- Experience with media preparation and target tissue production for Agrobacterium mediated transformation and/or particle gun bombardment.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignment and easy transitioning to new assignments in rapidly changing work environment.
- Capable of proactively identifying problem research areas, troubleshooting and finding solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safety practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
- Ability to work independently on individual experiments.
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 1-2 years of lab experience in plant tissue culture and genetic transformation.
- Experience with aseptic conditions, handling plant tissues and plant transformation in woody plant species.
- Experience with LIMS for data recording and tracking, lab automation.
- Knowledge and experience with general molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with light and fluorescent microscopy.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working approximately 40 hours per week.
This position operates 25/75 in a professional office environment and in a laboratory setting. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones. This position will also routinely utilize standard lab equipment such as pipettes, centrifuges, and lab automation with moving parts. While working in the lab, the employee may be exposed to low-to-moderate risk agents that may pose a danger if accidentally inhaled, swallowed, or exposed to the skin. Safety measures include the use of appropriate lab equipment and PPE including biosafety hoods, lab coats, gloves and safety eyewear. Employee will also be trained in proper handling of regulated plant materials.
This position is expected to travel for professional development and business meetings not likely to exceed 10% of the time. Domestic travel by plane or automobile most likely.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee may often use techniques that require fine motor skills and repetitive motions. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.