Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stonefruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
Pairwise is seeking a highly motivated, organized, process-oriented and results driven research associate to join the Transformation System development team. The successful candidate will have knowledge and hands-on experience in large-scale media preparation, micropropagation and genetic transformation. The role is a lab-based position, the individual will contribute in meeting our aggressive goals and building a culture where science can be fun.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Routinely perform large scale micropropagation to generate source plant materials for production pipeline.
- Prepare media and stock solutions.
- Develop research plans and execute experiments related to plant tissue culture and transformation using Agrobacterium and particle gun bombardment multiple woody plant species.
- Establish plant production pipeline, data recording and tracking systems, metrics and KPI’s to monitor the pipeline performance.
- Work closely with scientists to develop experimental strategy for targeted areas and bring those plans to life.
- Develop skill sets and bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere.
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams to find new insights.
- Technical Capacity.
- Decision Making.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Results Driven.
- Team player.
- Oral/written communication.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor or master’s degree in plant biology, plant science, plant biotechnology or related subject.
- Experience with aseptic techniques, plant tissue culture and transformation.
- Experience with media preparation and target tissue production for Agrobacterium mediated transformation and/or particle gun bombardment.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignment and easy transitioning to new assignments in rapidly changing work environment.
- Capable of proactively identifying problem research areas, troubleshooting and finding solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safety practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
- Ability to work independently on individual experiments.
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in plant science or related subject with 2 years of lab experience.
- Experience with aseptic conditions, handling plant tissues and plant transformation in woody plant species.
- Knowledge and experience with general molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with light and fluorescent microscopy.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working approximately 40 hours per week.
This position is expected to travel for professional development and business meetings not likely to exceed 10% of the time. Domestic travel by plane or automobile most likely.
This position operates 25/75 in a professional office environment and in a laboratory setting. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones. This position will also routinely utilize standard lab equipment such as pipettes, centrifuges, and lab automation with moving parts. While working in the lab, the employee may be exposed to low-to-moderate risk agents that may pose a danger if accidentally inhaled, swallowed, or exposed to the skin. Safety measures include the use of appropriate lab equipment and PPE including biosafety hoods, lab coats, gloves and safety eyewear. Employee will also be trained in proper handling of regulated plant materials.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee may often use techniques that require fine motor skills and repetitive motions. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status