Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stonefruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
Pairwise is looking to hire a senior leader capable of bridging the gap between product discovery and commercial handoff. The Product Discovery Technical Program Lead will be responsible for developing and executing, in conjunction with the functional team leads, research plans to address key unknown questions around commercialization for our Caneberry program. At the completion of the discovery process, this person will manage the handoff of the project from R&D to Commercial. This role requires a strong understanding of what commercializing an agricultural product entails and how these requirements dovetail into R&D. Example job requirements include evaluating cropping systems, formulating research plans to test new plant material and managing the technical handoff from R&D to commercial. The job requires a strong ability to identify and make critical decisions while operating in a fast moving environment. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated tract record of success in these areas. Depending on the candidate’s skill set, additional areas of responsibility are possible. Your contribution will be critical to helping Pairwise meet a set of aggressive targets and building a culture where science can be fun.
Summary of Job Responsibilities
- Ensure alignment between the product concept/definition and commercial
- Manage evaluation of commercial testing of material
- Deliver a smooth handoff between R&D and Commercial
- Ensure commercial requirements are technically evaluated prior to handoff
- Develop technical programs to help drive answers to key scientific questions
- 10+ years of experience operating in R&D commercial ag interface
- PhD or Master’s degree in a relevant field; such as molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biology, plant science, botany, agronomy, horticulture, evolution, ecology or any biological discipline.
- Previous experience in the commercialization of a product and a good understanding of what is technically required to commercialize a product in agriculture, preferably seeking individuals with experience in caneberries.
- Prior experience in product discovery and development
- Demonstrated focus on commercial outcomes
- Experience developing and leading technical programs
- Preferred experience in produce
- Demonstrated success working in a fast paced,