Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stonefruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
The Genome Biology scientist or senior scientist will use expert knowledge of molecular biology, cellular DNA recombination and/or repair pathways to devise new strategies for achieving precise genome editing outcomes in in plants and other eukaryotic cells. The successful candidate will join a team of PhD scientists and research associates to deliver insights and lead development of novel application methods for gene editing technologies in plants. Your contribution will be critical to helping Pairwise meet technology and product development goals, and to building a culture where science is fun.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Drive toward program success of genome biology tool development goals across molecular, protein and cell biology functions.
- Collaborate closely with molecular, protein, and cell biology scientists in an innovative culture and lead creation of world-class research capabilities in plant gene editing
- Train and mentor research associates, senior research associates and research scientists in technical excellence
- Collaborate across R&D to drive discovery of new technologies and optimizations that increase the efficiency of precise gene editing through DNA repair, recombination or engineering in plant systems
- Collaborate with universities and other scientific organizations to bring diverse thought into Pairwise
- Technical Capacity.
- Decision Making.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Results Driven.
Required Education and Experience
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Cell Biology or related field with preference for a demonstrated track record of success in understanding and manipulating DNA and genome biology in eukaryotic cells
- Track record of excellence in formulating and executing plant research leading to novel insights
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and contribute collaboratively in a cross functional environment
- Command of molecular biology methodologies and enzymology used in nucleic acid manipulations
Preferred Education and Experience
- Preference for plant biology experience and/or industrial research experience
- Excellence in formulating and executing research to increase control of DNA recombination, to alter repair pathway homeostasis, to exploit transposon biology, or in another relevant genome biology field.
Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working approximately 40 hours per week.
This position leads cross functional teams focused on projects involving DNA recombination.
This position is expected to travel for professional development and business meetings not likely to exceed 10% of the time. Domestic travel by plane or automobile most likely.
This position operates 50/50 in a professional office environment and in a laboratory setting. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones. This position will also routinely utilize standard lab equipment such as pipettes, centrifuges, and lab automation with moving parts. While working in the lab, the employee may be exposed to low-to-moderate risk agents that may pose a danger if accidentally inhaled, swallowed, or exposed to the skin. Safety measures include the use of appropriate lab equipment and PPE including biosafety hoods, lab coats, gloves and safety eyewear. Employee will also be trained in proper handling of regulated plant materials.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee may often use techniques that require fine motor skills and repetitive motions. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.