Pairwise believes healthy food should be affordable, convenient, and sustainable. We believe gene editing can be used to accelerate plant breeding and address global food challenges by leveraging the natural genetic diversity in agricultural crops. We are bringing the benefits of these new innovations both to producers and directly to consumers through the produce aisle of their local grocery store. Located in the Raleigh-Durham metro area, Pairwise was formed in 2017.
This internship program is designed to provide you with exposure to an innovative R&D environment in plant sciences. This is a great way for you to strengthen your skills in the areas of bioinformatics and cloud computing. This internship opportunity will start mid September and end in December.
Internship Learning Opportunities
- Assist scientific research in the following areas:
- Execution and improvement of existing next-generation sequencing (NGS) analysis pipelines and data
- Design front-end GUIs and backend tools to forecast CRISPR breeding pipelines
- Work closely with data science and various other functional teams to better store quality data and integrate them to answer pipeline questions using interactive dashboards
- Network with and be mentored by experienced professionals in Agriculture, food and plant sciences.
Who should Apply:
- Junior, Senior or graduate students currently enrolled in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Bioinformatics, Genetics, Agriculture, Horticulture, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology or related programs who are interested in improving software engineering and data science skills.
- Students with some experience in NGS analysis on a compute cluster or cloud environment.
- Students who can effectively build relationships and thrive in a team-based environment.
- Students who communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and at all levels of the organization.
- Students who are self-motivated with a strong results orientation, including demonstrated initiative and meeting deadlines without sacrificing quality results.
- Students who are organized and confident in their ability to solve problems.
- Students who have a desire to learn and are willing to ask questions.
If this describes you, we invite you to apply! Please provide resume and cover letter. The cover letter should answer the follow questions below:
- What experiences have led you to be interested in this internship?
- What do you hope to learn during this internship? Be specific.
- Describe your technical experience most related to bioinformatics and genomic analyses.