The Head of Commercialization is a new position that will report to the Chief Business Officer, will be a senior leader within the organization and will have responsibility for developing and building the Pairwise berry business. This individual will work with partners, growers, and potentially retailers to launch new berry varieties, brand them and deliver a superior product to consumers. We are looking for a leader who is a great team player, works with traditional berry partners, and can communicate well with plant scientists.
At Pairwise, we are focused on enhancing the genetics of fruits and vegetables to create better, new products for consumers. As we expand our footprint across the food, agriculture, indoor and biotechnology landscape, we are seeking an individual to leverage agricultural and operational understanding to deliver revenue, mitigate risk or enhance capabilities resulting in increased company value. This role requires a combination of tactical and strategic skills to develop relationships with existing and future partners. They will utilize strong management and relationship building competencies to set a vision, strategy and objectives to ensure operational excellence/ quality and to drive growth within the berry category.
The Head must have experience leading several facets of the supply chain – detailed knowledge of berry growing practices, agriculture operations, logistics, planning/scheduling, and inventory management. He/She should be adept at developing and executing process and understand best practices in similar fresh, agricultural environments. The right candidate will have demonstrated the ability to continuously improve a supply chain and manage complex customer needs.
This is a high-growth opportunity and we are looking for the supply chain expert looking to make the transition to a business leadership role.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Short Term - launch products
- Organizational leader who uses their experience and education to make decisions about products and partnerships.
- Lead and maintain a professional relationship with external business partners and internal technical organization
- Work with partners to implement Supply Chain organization to facilitate the harvest, logistics, packing, storage, and distribution of new cane berry products. Berry experience preferred.
- Recommends and implements industry leading change to increase the quality and productivity of Pairwise products
- Participate in the development, implementation and achievement of annual operating plan
· Identifies and supports the assessment of grower contracts, growth opportunities and partnerships - inclusive of diligence and draft terms
- Build operational and execution-oriented plans to deliver on key priorities, including revenue goals, growing/ processing strategies, market development approaches, product/sales tactics and commercial reporting
- Maintain working knowledge of key markets, commodities and inputs, and establish indicator metrics to identify price movements
· Lead cross functional teams (internal/external) in the identification of capital requirements, the business case supporting category capital projects and ultimately, the execution of the initiative.
Longer Term – build a team and a business
· Define clear North America focused business objectives and identify targeted partners based on comprehensive partner assessments, go-to-market modeling, and risk management strategies
· With partner, institute and oversee A) Agriculture operations, which is responsible for contracting, growing and harvesting of the fresh products needed to meet the company’s standards for optimum quality, efficiency and maximum profits. B) Logistics, which manages the flow of goods between the point of origin and the point of consumption in the most efficient and cost-effective manner to meet the requirements of customers. This includes all inbound, intercompany, and outbound material movement.
- Establish and manage plantlet contracts, packaging, logistics & other necessary functions for business success
· Development and execute strategy for international genetics deployment
· Leading teams and influencing partners
· Experience in Strategic Planning and Execution
· Leadership in change management
· Expertise in contracting and negotiating
· Risk Management
· Analytical and problem-solving skills
· Ability to build, develop and motivate teams
· Internally driven and motivated
· Comprehensive understanding of the berry market inclusive of growers, processors and customers
· Customer and consumer focused
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Business/ Logistics/ Engineering/Supply Chain/Agriculture or related field
· Preferred Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Engineering, or Supply Chain Management
· Minimum of 10 years of broad-based supply chain experience
· Solid analytical skills and with an ability to translate data into fact-based decision making supporting strategic planning and organizational design/ hiring plan.
· Demonstrated excellence in communication and stakeholder management.
· Effective in data gathering, able to work in an unstructured environment, strong communication skills and able to build partnerships internally and externally
· Public speaking skills and ability to articulate complex concepts to cross-function audiences.
· Ability to build strong working relationships with clients and colleagues across departments, geographic locations, and time zones
· Demonstrated ability to engage and influence not only C-level executives but family farm stakeholders.
· Learning agility with capability to learn and work in-depth in a technical field, specifically biotechnology and agronomics
· High emotional intelligence and conflict resolution; able to effectively maintain relationships via flexibility, collaboration and negotiation
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to set clear priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Knowledge of six sigma and lean concepts
· Experience bringing new technologies into the berry category
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
· This is a full-time position working approximately 40 hours per week.
· Supervisory Responsibility - None.
This position is expected to travel for professional development and business meetings not likely to exceed 50% of the time. Domestic travel by plane or automobile most likely however some occasional international travel may be necessary.
This position is in a professional office environment. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, scanners and phones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel, and techniques that require fine motor skills and repetitive motions. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.