Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stonefruit, with the first product expected in early 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
The Lead, Cell Biology will manage a team of exceptional scientists and research associates to develop new methods for efficient gene editing tool delivery and evaluation, as well as regeneration of edited plants. In close collaboration with adjacent functions this team will literally change the paradigm of biomolecule delivery in plants to develop systems that capitalize on the advantages and unique characteristics of state-of-the-art genome editing tools.
Summary of Job Responsibilities
- Create a vision for cell biology at Pairwise and its contribution to the company’s scientific and business objectives. Lead a team of researchers to achieve that vision.
- Drive continuous innovation related to rapid testing of gene editing technologies in cells and tissues.
- Collaborate across R&D to drive discovery and validation of genes useful for stimulating cell division and regeneration in plants.
- Identify, hire and retain the best scientific talent from cell biology, plant physiology and transformation biology.
- Lead the team to cultivate deep knowledge in cell biology, tissue culture, transformation, and novel delivery techniques to drive continuous innovation, optimization and improvements in standard and novel plant tissue and cell assay processes.
- Lead the team to make significant intellectual property advances in these areas, contributing to the scope and value of the company’s IP portfolio.
- Collaborate with universities and other scientific organizations to bring diverse thought into Pairwise.
- Team and individual leadership
- Results Driven
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Decision Making
- PhD in Biological Sciences or related field
- 5+ years’ experience leading scientific teams.
- Strong track record of formulating and building research programs.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver scientific results in a cross functional environment.
- Lead the team in keeping accurate scientific records, using safe laboratory practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.