THE WELL is a modern membership-based wellness club designed for busy urban professionals in the heart of New York City. We recognize both the benefits of Western medicine and the wisdom of Eastern healing and have built a science-backed ecosystem for wellness. Our integrative medicine doctors, health coaches and skilled practitioners work together under one roof to build customized plans uniquely suited to each member and their goals.
The 18,000-square-foot club includes a full-service spa with steam and sauna, an organic restaurant, reflexology lounge, yoga and meditation studios, private training gym and classroom with innovative weekly programming. At THE WELL, your health is integrated, proactive and personalized leading to a more balanced you.
THE WELL: welcome to wellness
The General Manager is responsible for effectively leading the day to day operations of THE WELL and its team members. Driving and leading the commercial and financial performance of the club, ensuring complete viability while maximizing all opportunities and resources. Always ensuring that the highest service standards are adhered to, and that guest experience exceeds expectation. Work closely with the practitioners and the Vice President of Operations for THE WELL in establishing and maintaining key business objectives to include, but not limited to the spa, programing, medical, fitness, food and beverage. The General Manager also focuses on preparation of budgeting, strategizing, planning, organizing and directing all services within the property, inclusive of all front-of-house as well as back of house operations while living the example of THE WELL.
The Person We Need
- Develop an annual budget and business plan for club and be responsible for the achievement and regular review of the approved business plan and budget.
- Provide daily and monthly financial and statistical reports to management team incorporating justifications of performance, proposals and recommendations to optimize financial performance.
- Drive and monitor performance through KPIs, linking results with sales and marketing activities.
- Review the monthly P&L, scrutinizing departmental costs to optimize profit margins without compromising quality.
- Establish and ensure a cost-effective wage structure based on productivity and efficiency.
- Communicate and discuss KPI’s with THE WELL s department heads, ensuring this is filtered down to an operational level.
- Work with the Executive Chef and Restaurant GM on inventory, margins, menu, labor costs.
- Work closely with Membership and Business Development to identify opportunities and maximize revenue from membership sales.
- Plan and act as a host for all VIP and press events and visits.
- Work with marketing to ensure collateral, point of sale and promotional materials reflect the quality and integrity of THE WELL.
- Conduct regular competitive analysis with the support of department heads.
- Establish SMART monthly and quarterly Business Objectives.
- Lead by example by providing a warm welcome to clientele while striving to provide outstanding service.
- Create and maintain relations with guests and members through an active presence at reception and other key guest areas.
- Maintain consistent member satisfaction through collating member feedback received from any platform and communicate this with team, implementing changes or training where necessary. Directly follow up with all member and member feedback, both good and bad.
- Deal with any member complaints promptly and effectively, ensuring member satisfaction and revenue is not jeopardized. Record any grievances and follow up accordingly, liaising with the Vice President of Operations where necessary.
- Conduct tours for VIPs, journalists and prospective members. Act as an Ambassador for THE WELL at all times.
- Provide leadership, support and training to the team to help them achieve their sales and service goals.
- Display honesty & integrity
- Provide leadership, direction and support to team members to develop a highly motivated team who can consistently deliver excellent standards of service in all areas.
- Develop an annual and ongoing training plan with department heads and ensure that all team members are trained and developed to meet the needs of the business.
- Communicates effectively to team using tools such as beekeeper, development reviews, training, departmental orientation, daily and monthly departmental/operations meetings.
- Ensure that all HR policies and procedures are followed correctly and in line with employment legislation.
- Conduct performance appraisals for all department heads instigating progressive development and succession planning. Review all staff performance on a regular basis with department heads.
- Monitor all personnel procedures including schedule, sickness, holidays and payroll.
- Create preventive maintenance programs for consistency of the product
- Ensures updated safe work environment
- Possess excellent communication and leadership skills and are a strong, creative problem solver both with team members and third-party partners operating within the club.
- Monitors the performance of the establishment through verification and analysis of THE WELL’s member satisfaction system and financial reports.
- Self-starter who proactively initiates tasks required to remain in line with the established budget and property goals.
- Works directly with the Vice President of Operations to strategize on forecasting and budgets.
- Embodies the values of THE WELL and its culture, infusing it in their performance daily.
- Support all operational areas and team members by proactively assisting members and undertaking operational duties as and when required.
- Regularly walk all areas of the club to monitor cleanliness, maintenance, presentation and THE WELL brand standards.
- Hold structured and interactive team and department head meetings on a monthly basis.
- Strong sense of member services is a must!
- 5-7 years in hospitality in a guest-facing capacity
- Excellent people management skills for large, multi-faceted teams
- Unparalleled guest relations focus, ability to deliver added touches and details to make every visit by every Member feel special
- Mastery of operations from all aspects of a brick-and-mortar guest destination
- Significant experience managing large scale, cross-functional projects, building partnerships and working with vendors
- Data-driven with a meticulous attention to detail and ability to expertly prioritize on the fly
- Extreme attention to detail
- Strong sense of organization
- Ability to be a leader and establish a strong presence with team members and club members
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Full Time & Part Time paid time off
- Commuter benefits
- Lactation room
- Paid Maternity & Paternity leave
- Perks, gym & multiple service discounts
- Professional Development Workshops
- Collaborative & Pet Friendly HQ work environment
- EAP & quarterly on-site Support Circles