Position: Operations Manager
Location: New York City
THE WELL is a modern membership-based wellness club designed for busy urban professionals in the heart of New York City. We recognize both the benefits of Western medicine and the wisdom of Eastern healing and have built a science-backed ecosystem for wellness. Our integrative medicine doctors, health coaches and skilled practitioners work together under one roof to build customized plans uniquely suited to each member and their goals.
The 18,000-square-foot club includes a full-service spa with steam and sauna, an organic restaurant, reflexology lounge, yoga and meditation studios, private training gym and classroom with innovative weekly programming. At THE WELL, your health is integrated, proactive and personalized leading to a more balanced you.
THE WELL: welcome to wellness
The Operations Manager is responsible for effectively leading the day to day operations of THE WELL and its team members. The Operations Manager will assist the General Manager and AGM in driving and leading the commercial and financial performance of the club, ensuring complete viability while maximizing all opportunities and resources. The Operations Manager will act as the direct supervisor for the Wellness Guide team, ensuring that the highest service standards are adhered to, and that the member and member's guest experience exceeds expectations. Work closely with the General Manager and AGM in establishing and maintaining key business objectives to include, but not limited to the spa, retail, programing, medical, and fitness.
The Person We Need:
- Lead by example by providing a warm welcome to members while striving to provide outstanding service.
- Create and maintain relations with members through having an active presence at reception and other key member areas.
- Maintain consistent member satisfaction through collating feedback received from any platform and communicate this with team, implementing changes or training where necessary. Directly follow up with all member feedback, both good and bad.
- Deal with any member complaints promptly and effectively, ensuring member satisfaction and revenue is not jeopardized. Record any grievances and follow up accordingly, liaising with the General Manager where necessary.
- Conduct tours for VIPs, journalists and prospective members. Act as an Ambassador for THE WELL at all times.
- Work with GM & AGM to properly execute, track and implement all promotional activities, PR and special events
- Keep a detailed system to track appointment turnaways
- Be the yield management expert by maximizing the treatment book and conduct regular yield management training with the Guide team
- Manage THE WELL retail store to include inventory receiving, stocking, pricing and monthly inventory counts.
- Ensure daily, weekly, monthly retail goals are met
- Act as the primary contact for the Retail and Product Innovation team to execute product implementations, trainings and trunk shows.
- Lead in conjunction with Finance and Retail teams’ monthly inventories following THE WELL standard operating procedures.
- Work closely with the Club Membership to identify business development opportunities and maximise revenue from membership sales.
- Plan and act as the primary contact for all VIP and press events and visits.
- Ensure collateral, point of sale and promotional materials reflect the quality and integrity of THE WELL.
- Conduct regular competitive analysis with the support of department heads.
- Work closely with Health Coaching team and Guides to ensure member experience feels integrated and efficient.
- Provide constant on the floor support to all departments, ensuring team members are following standards and protocols
- Provide leadership, direction and support to team members to develop a highly motivated team who can consistently deliver excellent standards of service in all areas.
- Recruit, hire, and train Wellness Guide team
- Consistently reinforce THE WELL SOP’s providing insights and edits as the business needs dictate.
- Develop an annual and ongoing training plan with department heads and ensure that all team members are trained and developed to meet the needs of the business.
- Communicates effectively to team using tools such as development reviews, Beekeeper training, departmental orientation, daily and monthly departmental/operations meetings.
- Ensure that all HR policies and procedures are followed correctly and in line with employment legislation.
- Conduct performance appraisals for all direct reports. Review all team member performance on a regular basis with department heads.
- Lead all Wellness Guide team procedures including weekly payroll, team member schedules, PTO and holidays.
Manager on Duty
- Act as Manager on Duty when assigned this role as part of the schedule
- When on duty:
- Ensure the Club is adequately manned at all times. Oversee the smooth running of all business centres on property.
- Inform the relevant department head of any complaints or issues regarding the facility, acting or recommending amendments if necessary.
- Responsible for Opening/Closing Procedures.
- Complete opening procedures and check lists per relevant area on a daily basis, reporting any housekeeping or maintenance issues to the relevant department and ensuring prompt resolution.
- Hold morning rally’s, taking up to date revenue figures from the property, communicating the day’s business, guests and any relevant activities to other department heads.
- Carry out daily briefings with the team, communicating guest information and revenue targets.
- Possess excellent communication and leadership skills and are a strong, creative problem solver both with team members and third-party partners operating within the club.
- Monitors the performance of the establishment through verification and analysis of THE WELL’s guest satisfaction system and financial reports.
- Self-starter who proactively initiates tasks required to remain in line with the established budget and property goals.
- Works directly with the General Manager to strategize on forecasting and budgets.
- Embodies the values of THE WELL and its culture, infusing it in their performance daily.
- Support all operational areas and team members by proactively assisting members and undertaking operational duties as and when required.
- Regularly walk all areas of the club to monitor cleanliness, maintenance, presentation and THE WELL brand standards.
- Oversee and ensure all legislation and requirements are being upheld as per THE WELL’s operating licence(s).
- Hold structured and interactive team and department head meetings on a monthly basis.
- 5+ years’ experience managing complex wellness operations
- Significant experience in wellness modalities and how they integrate
- Significant experience managing large scale, cross-functional projects, building partnerships and working with vendors
- Data-driven with a meticulous attention to detail and ability to expertly prioritize on the fly
- Natural problem solver with a passion for creating simple solutions and track record of impeccable follow through
- Demonstrated strength in building relationships, with strong cross-functional collaboration skills
- Ability to excel in an extremely fast-paced, high-growth startup environment
- Entrepreneurial and risk-oriented, with an understanding of the dynamics of small, high-growth companies and an ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- Enjoys the day to day interaction with team members and club members
- Confident and experienced decision-making, comfortable with making trade-off’s and communicating decisions to partners
- Strategic, big picture thinker who can lead a team to think boldly and creatively without losing sight of the finer details
- Energized about solving complex, ambiguous problems
- Deep collaboration skills and high EQ
- Experience with retail POS and time & attendance systems, including general Office Suite computer skills.