Role Summary: Surgical Solutions Technicians serve as an integral member of the operating room team providing surgical support and equipment for minimally invasive surgeries. They actively assist in daily Operating Room operations, including duties associated with pre-operative set up, intra-operative support, and post-operative turnover. The position reports to Account Supervisors/Lead Technicians.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Maintain high standards for decontamination, assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment
· Actively assist in daily Operating Room operations
Pre-Operative Set Up
· Ensure timely delivery of sterile products, trays, and case carts to the Operating Room
· Select appropriate instrumentation based on hospital/surgeon preference cards for the Procedure and that all equipment is functioning properly
· Ensure necessary tubing and cords are plugged in and operational
· Check video equipment and tower components for functionality
· Address any supply issues/requests
· Available for video and scope troubleshooting throughout the Procedure
· Maintain a high level of service during the operative procedure and assure maintenance of the sterile field
· Dispose of garbage/waste and help expedite the room turnover process (if applicable to assigned hospital)
· Gather instruments and visually inspect the instrument sets to account for all instrumentation upon completion of the Procedure
· Shut down equipment and return it to its dedicated location
· Properly pre-clean and transport instruments to the decontamination area for re-processing
· Monitor the sterilization process for accuracy and completeness
· Inspect all instrumentation after sterilization process for effectiveness and proper condition for next Procedure
· Inventory instruments, assure no inappropriate waste of reusables, repackage trays for next Procedure
Equipment Maintenance and Repair Management
· Identify any damaged or worn instrumentation (i.e. firmness, stiffness, alignment, chips/dents, dullness, sharp edges) for repair or replacement
· Troubleshoot malfunctioning scopes and equipment and work with the repair vendor to arrange for loaner instrumentation
· In the hospital: Work closely with the endoscopy techs, nurses, and surgeons to ensure that each surgeon has available to them his/her preferred model scope and other instrumentation/equipment for all standard and specialty procedures and allow for a smooth transition when the surgeon working in a room completes his/her cases and the next surgeon arrives
· As a part of Surgical Solutions: Collaborate well with fellow team members and hospital staff, act with respect and dignity towards others and provide exceptional customer service to the hospitals we serve as a representative of the company
· Obtain/maintain CRCST Certification: Surgical Solutions will assist in upkeep of the certificate; the Technician is/will be responsible for upkeep of the certification.
· Complete/provide documentation required to obtain medical clearance from the hospital
· Complete annual trainings/competencies
· Maintain organized records of medical/OHS credentialing requirements
Necessary Skills and Abilities
Skills and abilities necessary for performance of the job duties and responsibilities include:
· Punctuality and dependability are important to meet the needs of colleagues, hospital staff and the hospital Operating Rooms’ schedules.
· Must be able to work Sunday – Saturday which includes 24/7 coverage on a rotational basis between the technicians at the local hospital during weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
· This position typically entails a 40-hour workweek and additional hours may be required based on workflow and OR schedule to ensure our customers receive the highest level of service.
· Ability to organize responsibilities, think critically and make decisions in stress and emergency situations. Demonstrate problem-solving skills and use sound judgment while exercising standard safety precautions. Ability to work quickly and accurately with commitment to detail.
· Interpersonal abilities sufficient to interact with individuals and groups from a variety of social, emotional, cultural, and intellectual backgrounds.
· Ability to establish rapport with hospital staff and team members as well as demonstrate professionalism in all circumstances.
· Ability to work effectively within their role independently as well as a part of a team. Treat others with consideration, dignity, and respect.
· Communication abilities sufficient for interaction with clients, staff, physicians, team members and other healthcare professionals in verbal and written form.
· Ability to effectively read and comprehend technical and professional materials and to follow oral and written instructions.
· Tactile, auditory, and visual acuity sufficient for physical assessment, and to interact in clinical, lab, and classroom environments.
· Work Environment:
· Hospitals are a 24-hour, 7 days a week operations that have a fast-paced atmosphere and involves exposure to bloodborne pathogens, various chemical disinfectants, and infectious materials.
· Ability to wear personal protective equipment (i.e. eye protection, gloves, shoe covers, surgical head covering, and gown) is required
· Physical Demands
· Ability to turn, bend, squat, kneel, crawl, reach, push, pull, maneuver in tight spaces, and side-to-side turning of neck
· Ability to maneuver heavy equipment; lift, carry, and balance items weighing up to 50 pounds individually or additional weight with assistance
· Full range of body motion; gross and fine motor abilities sufficient to provide safe and effective care
· Repetitive and constant standing for prolonged periods
· Normal, correctable vision and hearing required including the ability to accurately discern color as necessary to perform job functions
· 1-3 years Operating Room experience preferred.
· 2-5 years of face-to-face customer service experience preferred.
· High School Diploma/GED required.
· Some college experience preferred.
· CRCST mandatory
· Availability for 24/7 hospital coverage including both weekday and weekend rotational scheduled and on-call shifts.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Attention to detail, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
· Proficient in Microsoft Suite – Outlook, Word, Excel.