Navigating the ever-changing software landscape isn’t easy. We’ve made it our mission to realize each client’s vision with solutions that are repeatable, resilient, and scalable. We make possible plausible without sacrificing practical, useful, and usable.
Thoughtful Software is our brand promise:
- Focus on People
- Consistently Deliver Value
- Backed by Intelligent Systems
We know that it is challenging enough to attract and retain top talent; that there is a high failure rate on custom software projects; and that misaligned goals stagnate growth for enterprises.
We believe thoughtful people and Thoughtful Software™ will conquer these challenges and change the world for the better. This kind of change can only happen if we put people at the center of everything we do and remain rooted in our core values like Team over Individual and Relationships over Money.
The Product team at Skiplist is looking for an experienced software product thinker that understands how to collaborate with our clients to set up a prioritized plan for building, launching, and scaling a product, given each clients' unique challenges and constraints. Their talents are a thoughtful combination of technique (e.g., roadmap alignment, requirements facilitation, and product testing) and skill (e.g. interview, observation, and hands-on testing).
The ideal candidate will have experience working with customers and software engineers, a good understanding of how applications are built, and a bias for action.
- Exemplifies a solid grasp of how to set up and run a backlog so that it contributes consistent, forward momentum to the development of the software product.
- Manages the collaborations needed to refine story cards from concept, vet with business stakeholders, and ready with the Tech Lead and Project Manager for estimation.
- Does the legwork on behalf of the team to answer questions, ensuring each card is ready to be worked on by the engineering team.
- Collaborates effectively with business stakeholders to prioritize cards for subsequent iterations and releases of the software product; provides the team with answers to functional questions, clarifies requirements.
- Leads product demonstrations for clients to provide an overview of recently completed features/functions.
- Performs smoke testing for staged builds (pre-user acceptance).
- Conducts business stakeholder/target user interviews for the purpose of requirements gathering.
- 4+ years of product ownership or business analyst experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have relevant experience with consulting and/or client-facing engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to work with engineering team to discuss technical concepts, make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks, and evaluate new ideas.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to communicate solutions effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with product discovery and design thinking.
- Has succeeded in an Agile environment and has a track record of understanding business needs, refining priorities, outlining milestones and deliverables, and identifying opportunities and risks.
- Relishes the manager-of-one mentality, making effective use of their time, and the realities of multiple clients/projects in a distributed working environment.
Why You Should Join Skiplist
You’ll become an important part of a small, fully distributed (we were distributed before distributed was cool), and dedicated team. We strive to provide a progressive working environment that doesn’t ask for or encourage habitual overtime and we offer flexibility in your day. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes so we offer Responsible Time Off.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups - women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
We think this is a rather novel and reasonably noble approach. If you feel the same, and believe we could benefit from your drive, passion, and talent, then let’s talk!