Software Engineer: Consultant/Freelancer
Overview: ParentChild+ (formerly Parent-Child Home Program), a nationally replicated early-literacy and school readiness program, is seeking a part-time consulting Software Engineer to develop new functionality and help maintain a brand-new Management Information System (MIS) used to collect and report research data.
About the Position: This position is part-time, potentially up to 25 hours per week. This person is expected to spend one day a week at the National Center, with the rest of the time working remotely. In addition, this position addresses any after-hour issues that arise in relation to the MIS’s security and operability.
During the introductory period, this person will spend an extended time period on site at the National Center becoming integrated with the Research Department.
Primary Duties Include:
- Helps continue the implementation of the organization’s proprietary bespoke MIS (DAISY) that was launched in July 2018.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs: conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors; recommending purchases; testing and approving products.
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Protects operations by keeping data confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Performs Help Desk duties with remote users
- Responds to after-hours issues concerning the MIS’s functionality and security.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
- 2+ years in web and software development
· Experience with:
o Analyzing Information
o General Programming Skills
o Software Design
o Software Debugging
o Software Documentation
o Software Testing
o Problem Solving
o Software Development Fundamentals
o Software Development Process
- Appreciates the nuances of detail and design and its implication on research results
- Ability and willingness to re-prioritize quickly
About The Parent-Child Home Program:
The Parent-Child Home Program’s (PCHP) nationwide network of program sites provides low-income families with the necessary tools, skills, and resources to ensure their children achieve their greatest potential in school and in life. The National Center assists underserved communities in replicating and expanding its proven school readiness program that builds parent-child interaction and supports learning at home. Together we are strengthening families and communities, and building the workforce of the future. Please see for more information.
The Parent-Child Home Program is an equal opportunity employer.
indicate your hourly fee
Mineola Boulevard, Mineola, NY 11501
PCHP is a five-minute walk from the Mineola LIRR Train Station.
Parking is available.
Send Resume and Cover Letter to:
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.
Find us on the web at: