Interise is an innovative non-profit organization that promotes the economic revitalization of lower income communities. We do this by providing diverse groups of small business owners with the entrepreneurial education, connections and access to markets needed to grow their established businesses. We offer an academically developed curriculum called the StreetWise MBATM. Through this small business executive education curriculum, our community creates jobs, strengthens business networks, and develops community leaders.
Since 2004, Interise’s unique approach of focusing
exclusively on existing small business owners interested in growth has created
tangible outcomes for business owners in low- to moderate-income communities.
As our most recent Impact Report indicates, Interise has established
itself as a proven leader in educating and training established entrepreneurs to grow their businesses, and in turn, their communities (see https://www.interise.org/our-impact)
Interise is currently hiring part-time independent contractors to teach its StreetWise MBATM curriculum to up to 18 participants as part of the collaboration with the Greater Philadelphia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GPHCC). GPHCC is a nonprofit seeking to develop, promote and advocate for Hispanic business in the greater Philadelphia region while encouraging the advancement and economic growth of the Hispanic community. (http://www.philahispanicchamber.org/).
Together, Interise and GPHCC seek qualified and talented persons to help us deliver the program's mission in the Philadelphia region. The program includes one orientation session, and 13 instructor-led classes scheduled between September 2019 and April 2020.
- Prepare and facilitate 13 classes using the StreetWise MBA™ curriculum, following the instructor’s manual and program standards;
- Establish and monitor learning in the self-directed CEO forums (approximately three or four groups with five participants each. Instructor does not attend);
- Reinforce the importance of the participants’ pre-session work in the delivery of the curriculum.
- Conduct at least one 30-minute consultation with each participants before Session 4, either on site or in-person;
- Work with the local program sponsor (GPHCC) and his/her staff to identify and prepare local Guest Experts as designated in the curriculum. Provide a written and verbal briefing for all Guest Experts per the curriculum requirements;
- Provide feedback and coaching to participants on their Live Case presentations (total of 8 live cases throughout the curriculum);
- Provide written or verbal feedback on the Strategic Growth Action Plans (Growth Plan) that are produced at the end of each module, from Modules I – IV;
- Ensure that participants are prepared for the Growth Plan Presentations at the end of the curriculum.Instructor Training and Support:
- Participate in the Instructor training which will review the StreetWise MBA™ curriculum, program standards, and teaching technique
- Participate in the assigned Instructor Support Group by attending curriculum preparation conference calls (one for each module) and 1:1 virtual coaching sessions with the Instructor Support Group’s Coach.
- Ensure that the session and program evaluation process is followed; Participate in the on-going capture and distribution of best practices and the end-of-program instructor evaluation and debrief;
- Support the collection of participants’ annual assessments.
Participant Recruitment and Retention:
- Provide local program sponsor and his/her staff recruitment guidance as needed.
- BA or BS required, Master’s preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish-English)
- Personal experience as an entrepreneur, having successfully started and grown a business, with current knowledge of financial, marketing and/or business strategy is highly desirable;
- Experience in teaching/coaching adult learners, preferably in the field of business is critical to being successful in this role;
- Demonstrated understanding of adult learning methods; including interactive teaching techniques, case-based learning, encouraging self-directed learning and reflection, and incorporation of participants’ past experiences and expertise;
- Ability to create an environment of learning and personal accountability; including facilitating the development of a trustful and honest learning relationship amongst the participants, ensuring that learning objectives are met, and communicating the importance of course assignments to the development of participants’ businesses;
- A toolbox of teaching skills that include skilled facilitation and presentation, excellent organization and time-management skills, ability to assess learning needs and respond appropriately—taking an individualized teaching approach as needed, good observation skills, appropriate analytical skills, fostering of reflection, giving and receiving feedback effectively;
- Personal Characteristics that include engendering confidence and trust; teaching competency with different personalities, cultures and learning styles; flexibility; adaptability; and ability to demonstrate that learning is an essential part of leadership.
Contract Fee: $14,000. Instructors receive extensive pre-program and on-going training, individual coaching, and peer-based learning throughout the duration of the contract. They are part of a growing national network of StreetWise MBA™ Instructors.
Interise is an equal opportunity employer.
Ours is a multi-cultural team and we thrive on diversity.