Aspen is looking for a Director, Research, with strong scientific and team leadership experience in cell therapy. The ideal candidate is comfortable working with senior leaders cross-functionally to spearhead initiatives and has a track record of driving projects from ideas into the next level of development, IND enabling studies or pre-clinical to clinical initiatives. We are looking for someone who wants to be part of a growing, patient-centered organization, with a focus on innovation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with senior management in developing the vision for research and development activities.
- Oversee and direct research group activities to ensure the vision for the team is executed in an expeditious manner.
- Lead both internal and external collaborations, managing progress updates and reports.
- Work closely with other team leaders within R&D to set objectives, prioritize research programs, develop and implement research plans aligned with corporate objectives, and allocate resources to maximize efficiency, productivity, creativity, and scientific rigor.
- Develop product concepts and candidates derived from iPSCs. Provide technical expertise and oversight for internal and external collaborative research programs to define product attributes and the functional utility of iPSC derived product candidates.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional research and development teams; contributing as a subject matter expert in teams and with key stakeholders also supporting tech transfer process when needed.
- Communicate and advise senior management on key scientific, technical, and operational issues and challenges, providing recommended course correction plan of action.
- Initiate and maintain external collaborations with academic research groups and consult with key thought leaders to support preclinical and clinical development.
- Maintain a scientific knowledge base relevant to cell therapy projects, including state-of-the-art regulatory landscape, developmental principles and theories, new methods, and technologies.
- Present research findings clearly and effectively at internal and external meetings; prepare study reports, regulatory documents, and other documentation to support R&D operations; publish research in peer-reviewed journals and support filing of patents.
- Promote effective communication and collaboration both within the Research department and with other functional groups across the organization.
- Supervise, develop, and mentor scientists and cultivate a positive culture within the organization.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. with minimum 6 years’ relevant experience in the biotech, pharma, or biologics industry or BS in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or related scientific discipline and minimum 10 years relevant experience.
- Experience with the cellular therapy discovery and development process.
- Experience leading scientific groups with a strong track record of success of previous scientific programs.
- In-depth knowledge of stem cell and iPSC biology.
- Knowledge of the cell therapy developmental pathway. Act as a strategic resource for complex problem solving.
- Demonstrated scientific creativity, technical proficiency, and knowledge of scientific concepts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate ideas and strategies.
- Strong teambuilding and leadership skills that are effective in a fast-moving start-up environment.
- Ability to effectively lead teams of varying levels and personalities.
- Recognized as an expert in the field.
- Ability to assess risk and develop contingency plans.