SUMMARY: Founded in 1973, the Ohio Children’s Alliance is a non-profit statewide trade association located in Columbus, Ohio. The Alliance provides a challenging and rewarding work environment that fosters teamwork and inspires professional excellence. The Alliance offers professional services to community foster care and mental health agencies, such as trainings, conferences, and business consultation; it lobbies government agencies on matters that impact children, families, and the community agencies that serve them; and is leading a pediatric health care provider network.
The Ohio Children’s Alliance was recently selected by CHAMPS to coordinate their Ohio-specific campaign. Our project will carry out the goals of CHAMPS in the State of Ohio through a new initiative of research, advocacy, and collaboration. CHAMPS -- which stands for Children Need Amazing Parents – is a policy campaign across select states that aims to ensure bright futures for kids in foster care by promoting the highest quality foster parenting.
This position is part-time and works remotely with regular monthly travel required. The ideal candidate will be responsible for conducting the research and analysis of the Ohio child welfare system, providing recommendations how best to apply the CHAMPS policy playbook specifically to our state, and providing technical assistance to foster care agencies and legislators. They will develop and coordinate the regional community forums and trainings, and will serve as the point person for all community outreach and marketing efforts.
QUALIFICATIONS: In order to adequately fulfill this position an individual must have:
• A minimum of five years of experience working with or for foster youth.
• Public speaking, engagement and presentation skills and experience required.
• Willingness and ability to travel ~500 miles per month
• Proficiency with Microsoft 365 products (Outlook, Word and Excel); ability to quickly gain proficiency using other software and web-based services
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Access to a computer and phone.
• Highly organized, motivated and efficient; ability to manage multiple work assignments and responsibilities simultaneously.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
• Possess a Bachelor’s Degree.
DUTIES: Under direct supervision of the Chief Operating Officer, this employee will:
• Lead the Steering Committee meetings, prioritizing and coordinating the work of the Ohio CHAMPS campaign
• Conduct research and analysis of Ohio’s child welfare system, including foster caregiver experiences, to inform how the CHAMPS Policy Playbook could best be implemented within Ohio’s unique child welfare system
• Create awareness of and engagement in the Ohio CHAMPS campaign from traditional and non-traditional partners
• Host public forums in greater Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati areas, to raise awareness about the need for action around the CHAMPS Policy Playbook
• Create and provide public communication about the vital importance of quality caregiving to children’s health, development, education and permanency, including the need for experienced parents, educators, and child care professionals to become foster caregivers
• Develop Ohio-specific policy solutions that would promote data-driven, innovative policy approaches to recruiting and retaining foster parents and ensuring the best possible matches for children and families
• Provide technical assistance to foster care agencies and legislators seeking solutions to recruiting and retaining quality foster parents.
COMPENSATION: $35.00 - $40.00 per hour. Negotiable and commensurate with experience. 16-20 hours per week expected. No additional benefits provided.