908 Devices Inc. has developed an innovative suite of purpose-built handheld and desktop mass spec devices for the point-of-need. Leveraging our proprietary platform technology, we make the extraordinary analytical power of mass spec available in significantly smaller and more accessible devices than conventional laboratory instruments. Our devices are used at the point of need to interrogate unknown and invisible materials and provide quick, actionable answers to directly address some of the most critical problems in life sciences research, bioprocessing, industrial biotech, forensics, and adjacent markets. We are reimagining where mass spec technology can be used if it is sufficiently small in size, low in cost, and simple to operate.
908 Devices is headquartered in Boston, MA, near the Seaport and has a satellite office in North Carolina and a growing population of remote staff worldwide.
This role is for a talented and experienced product leader to develop and manage the consumable products generating the recurring revenue across all device product lines of 908 Devices, which covers both life science and field forensic markets. Reporting to the Director of Product Management, the Consumables Product Manager is a highly visible role in the organization and will support all device product lines. A self-directed, highly analytical product manager with both commercial and development experience is desired.
Product Line Performance
- Champion cross-functional activities to maximize overall consumables product line performance including revenue growth, margin improvement, cost reduction, and quality improvement.
- Ensure clear messaging, positioning, sales tools, and marketing collateral (app notes, webinars, videos, webpage, training slides etc.) are in place for direct sales force and 3rd party distributors to help advance sales.
- Analyze, interpret, and report out consumable product sales performance regarding to budget, and communicate key findings with other key stakeholders to drive actions.
- Collaborate with product marketing and device product management teams to conduct research and maintain relevant market data and competitive intelligence.
- Be responsible for consumables product management aspects associated with product definition, product development, pricing, new product introduction and training, sales tools, and promotion plans.
- Evaluate consumables product for obsolescence and ensure product-related issues are being adequately addressed and prioritized, working collaboratively with engineering and manufacturing to develop quality metrics, protocols, and conduct root cause analysis.
- Partner with device product line managers for cohesive product portfolio strategy and execution.
Product Planning & New Product Introduction (NPI)
- Collaborate with device product management teams to develop and execute long-range product roadmap & strategies
- Ensure consumable products are responsive to market needs, drive continuous improvements where needed to help maintaining and/or improving market penetration and share position for device products.
- Collaborate with NPI stakeholders in R&D (science, engineering & reliability) and operations to lead/shepherd new consumables product development through a stage gate process from Market Requirement Document (MRD) to Transfer to manufacturing, ensuring adherence to milestones.
- Minimum BS in a life or forensic sciences-related or business-related field
- 5+ years of product management in the Life or Forensic Science fields
- Proven record of launching new consumables product to market from concept through market launch
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Experience with mass spectrometry, capillary electrophoresis, or liquid chromatography technologies is highly desirable
- Exceptional written, oral communication skills
- Exceptional organization and problem-solving skills
- Willing to travel 20% when safely allowable