908 Devices Inc. has developed an innovative suite of purpose-built handheld and desktop mass spec devices for the point-of-need. Leveraging our proprietary platform technology, we make the extraordinary analytical power of mass spec available in significantly smaller and more accessible devices than conventional laboratory instruments. Our devices are used at the point of need to interrogate unknown and invisible materials and provide quick, actionable answers to directly address some of the most critical problems in life sciences research, bioprocessing, industrial biotech, forensics, and adjacent markets. We are reimagining where mass spec technology can be used if it is sufficiently small, low in cost, and simple to operate.
908 Devices is headquartered in Boston, MA, near the Seaport and has a satellite office in North Carolina and a growing population of remote staff worldwide.
The Senior Scientist will work in the R&D group developing new applications and new products in the Field Forensics market. The role will include both technical, 'inward-facing' contributions and collaborative 'outward-facing' activities. You will work with R&D engineers, Production engineers, and product managers to improve our current offerings and to conceive and develop new products. Your technical skills in analytical science and trace detection will provide positive customer impact, solving real-world problems by bringing analytical power to the point of need. A major part of the role will be working with current and potential customers, government, and third-party laboratories to manage collaborations and testing efforts. Expect to visit, interact with, and represent 908 to customers across a wide range of backgrounds, from field operators to analytical scientists, both domestic and international.
Key Skills and Responsibilities:
- Significant expertise in instrumental analysis. Experience in field analysis, portable instrumentation, and/or trace detection is required.
- Experience crafting and executing testing and validation projects is required, both internally and in collaboration with other organizations.
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable interacting with customers across a wide range of technical expertise, from general users to high-level lab personnel.
- Experience and aptitude evaluating and investigating new applications for 908 Devices' technology in the fields of forensics, safety, security, and military. Expect travel to current and potential customers to best understand their conops and how we can provide solutions.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm, curiosity, and a data-driven approach to problem solving. You are capable of tackling problems bottoms-up, and top-down as the situation dictates, and are an effective multi-tasker managing your time across multiple fast paced projects simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for dissemination of information and documenting progress, are expected. You are comfortable taking on highly visible, complex projects and will increase external recognition of 908 Devices’ technology and products by presenting at conferences, publishing work, and participating in external collaborations.
- The ideal candidate is voracious learner with the desire and ability to self-educate in new areas.
- Great personal pride in your work and your contributions to a team is required for this position. While considerable independence is expected, this role involves significant cross-functional collaboration with colleagues in chemistry, physics, biology, engineering, and software.
- Education in a relevant field such as Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- BS required. MS, PhD, or equivalent experience desired.