Product Engineer Co-Op – Summer 2021
908 Devices Inc. has developed an innovative suite of purpose-built handheld and desktop mass spectrometry, or Mass Spec, devices for the point-of-need. Leveraging our proprietary platform technology, we make the extraordinary analytical power of Mass Spec available in devices that are significantly smaller and more accessible than conventional laboratory instruments. Our Mass Spec devices are used at the point-of-need to interrogate unknown and invisible materials and provide quick, actionable answers to directly address some of the most critical problems in life sciences research, bioprocessing, industrial biotech, forensics and adjacent markets.
908 Devices Inc. is headquartered on the Boston waterfront in the Innovation District, with other facilities in the Bay Area and Chapel Hill in North Carolina.
Provide product engineering capability within the manufacturing services team as the product(s) ramps up. Identify weaknesses in assembly and test processes & equipment, optimize assembly & test processes via fixture and procedure improvements, working with R&D team. Introduce component & assembly revisions via ECO process. Track labor costs for all assembly processes, identify cost reduction opportunities. Identify yield issues and take/suggest corrective actions. Identify and improved Production efficiencies and resource utilization. Develop Design of Experiments (DoE) to
validate design changes, develop test plans to support regulatory testing.
· Track and improve production assembly process yields
· Assist in upgrade and improvement of production test stations
· Develop test plans to validate design changes, perform reliability studies and to support regulatory testing
· Analyze production yield data and identify potential changes to increase yield and reduce cycle time.
Communicate assembly & test issues to relevant R&D
Interface with supply management team to correct vendor issues
· Generate ECOs in response to issues identified in manufacturing
· Analyze product cost and identify opportunities for cost reduction via design optimization, fabrication technique & assembly procedures
· US Citizen - Required
· Strong understanding of mechanical, and/or electromechanical design
· Experience with microfluidics & motion control systems
· Able to facilitate and manage multiple projects
· Excellent attention to detail, highly conscientious and diligent
· Able to communicate ideas and information clearly and effectively
· Aptitude for statistics and data analysis
· Good interpersonal skills, ability to facilitate across diverse groups within company
· Competent with computers and able to learn software tools quickly
· Experience with Solidworks (drawings, parts, and assemblies)
· Able to perform electrical debugging with a multimeter and oscilloscope
Education & Experience:
· Completion of at least 1 Co-Op prior
· On track to complete a BS in a Engineering Discipline with a focus on mechanical and/or electrical engineering
· Graduation date no later than fall 2022