908 Devices Inc. has developed an innovative suite of purpose-built handheld and desktop mass spectrometry, or Mass Spec, devices for the point-of-need. Leveraging our proprietary platform technology, we make the extraordinary analytical power of Mass Spec available in devices that are significantly smaller and more accessible than conventional laboratory instruments. Our Mass Spec devices are used at the point-of-need to interrogate unknown and invisible materials and provide quick, actionable answers to directly address some of the most critical problems in life sciences research, bioprocessing, industrial biotech, forensics and adjacent markets.
908 Devices Inc. is headquartered on the Boston waterfront in the Innovation District, with other facilities in the Bay Area and Chapel Hill in North Carolina.
We are seeking an experienced Cost Accountant to be responsible for budgeting, cost management, performance evaluation and asset management focused on inventory, cost of goods sold and fixed assets. The role requires extensive interactions with manufacturing and purchasing teams as well as coordination of internal reporting to management to support the operation of the business. This role will also have the opportunity to lead the project level analysis on internal and external R&D projects. If you are a passionate, energetic, driven individual looking to be part of a fast-paced work environment where you can develop your skills and experience, this is likely the perfect opportunity.
· Responsible for managing all aspects of month-end close relating to cost of goods sold and inventory. This will include maintaining the overall integrity of inventory and associated reserves
· Partner with the Director of Finance on variances and analytics.
· Support Manufacturing and Purchasing in in-depth variance analysis on a weekly basis. Forecast and monitor utilization, efficiency and labor & overhead applied
· Calculate annual labor and overhead rates and explain fluctuations from prior periods
· Responsible for managing the inventory cycle count program and annual physical
· Review cost of goods sold and inventory balance fluctuations from forecast and budget and present to Finance Management team
· Assist and coordinate standard cost updates and costing of new product introductions
· Support decisions on make versus buy decisions and utilization of contract manufacturers
· Coordinate return on investment assessments for molding and other equipment purchases
· Assist with internal and external audit requirements
· Drive financial analysis and support related to the preparation of general ledger entries, budgeting of costs and variances, ad-hoc analysis and special projects
· Assist with project level tracking, accounting and budgeting for internal and funded R&D efforts. This will include maintaining and tracking project level effort, status and accounting for costs and funding to be recognized on a monthly basis
Desired Skills & Experience
· 3 to 7 years of progressively responsible cost accounting experience, preferably in a manufacturing environment
· BS degree in Accounting
· Strong cost accounting knowledge
· Dynamic communicator who shows creativity and initiative
· Guru in Excel
· MRP/ERP system experience (e.g. Oracle, SAP, etc.; NetSuite preferred)