Reports to: Applied Data Manager
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Location: New Haven, CT with significant in-state travel
The Connecticut RISE Network (RISE) is a Connecticut-based non-profit organization with a mission to empower educators to achieve breakthrough results, helping all students realize and achieve their full potential. Leveraging its innovative partnership model, RISE facilitates networked improvement communities by bringing together exceptional educators working in different contexts to advance shared goals. Together, RISE's team is building community, democratizing innovation, and improving systems in public schools and districts.
RISE districts and schools commit to sharing resources and expertise, pursuing innovative solutions, strengthening school and district systems, and empowering educators and leaders through continuous improvement. Currently, RISE represents a multi-year partnership between East Hartford, Meriden, New Haven, and Hartford Public Schools, serving 6,000 students across five high schools to support educators striving to ensure every RISE high school student graduates college and career ready. RISE will expand to a second network of high schools in fall 2019, bringing its direct student impact to over 13,000 students across 10 high schools.
Position Summary and Essential Job Functions:
The RISE Education Data Strategist will play an integral role advancing RISE’s data-driven approach to improving student outcomes through collaboration with partner schools and districts. The RISE Education Data Strategist will spend the majority of his/her time working with RISE partner schools to strengthen data systems, practices, and capacity, and a portion of his/her time supporting network-wide data initiatives. RISE is seeking a talented and highly motivated individual to support use of data tools, systems, and practices leading to improved student outcomes. This represents an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and is passionate about closing achievement gaps and developing the potential of all students regardless of life circumstance.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Data Practices and Capacity Building:
- Support teachers, leaders, and teams to use data in their daily decision-making, student interventions, and longer-term planning.
- Provide trainings to RISE school and district partners around data tools and best practices to foster educator enthusiasm and effective usage.
- Encourage educators to use district dashboards to develop deeper understandings of student performance and to facilitate school and district data team meetings.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with teachers, school leaders, and central office administrators.
- Advance the successful implementation of RISE by 5 Network strategies, including on-track data meetings and on-track student conferences.
2. Data-Driven Learning and School Improvement:
- Partner with district and school leaders as well as other members of the RISE data team to engage in actionable research and analytics, generating new insights to inform program design and student supports.
- Use longitudinal data to help schools better understand trends over time, with a focus on topics aligned to RISE Network goals and strategies.
- Identify opportunities to share practices and facilitate learning and collaboration among RISE schools and districts.
- Evaluate the impact and progress relative to the RISE by 5 shared network strategies in your district.
3. Data Systems and Tools:
- Co-develop, pilot, and refine data tools and solutions designed to empower teachers and school/district leaders with access to user-friendly data and displays.
- Maintain a pulse on RISE school and district data needs and challenges, proactively looking for ways to enhance data-driven decision-making and workflow.
- Lead a collaborative design and development process for new data protocols and tools to address school and district data needs.
- Support the quality assurance process for RISE data tools.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Prior experience working in a school, district, or similar K-12 educational context.
Ability to cultivate relationships and earn credibility with a diverse range of stakeholders.
A deep understanding of urban districts and schools.
Demonstrated proficiency with Excel.
Demonstrated proficiency with Google apps.
Ability to conduct data analyses and present results in a variety of written and visual formats.
Ability to communicate technical and complex information to diverse audiences.
Strong sense of accountability and responsibility for results.
Ability to work in an independent and self-motivated manner.
Outstanding interpersonal skills and teamwork.
Strong organizational and project management skills.
Desire to work in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and results-driven environment.
Sense of humor, positive attitude, and willingness to work in a collaborative environment.
Strong belief that all students can learn and achieve at high levels.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
Master’s degree in a relevant field.
Training in statistics and quantitative methods.
Knowledge of SQL, R, Stata, or some other statistical programming language.
Knowledge of Google apps script and Amazon AWS desired.
Experience with version control systems (preferably Git).
RISE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.