Reports To: Director of Residencies/Program Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Status: Part-Time
Salary Range: $45-$65 per hour
WHAT WE DO
At LEAP we believe in the transformational power of the arts. Wed as a grassroots movement with just four schools. Today, our teaching artists serve 20,000 kids across the city in over 150 New York City public schools. Every day, our educational arts programs inspire diverse school communities to be more engaged in learning and build critical skills. Our quality educational arts programs promote access and equity for New York City students underserved in the arts.
LEAP is a group of diverse and passionate individuals working together to prioritize youth and pursue our mission.
We collaborate to accomplish goals and are accountable to ourselves and others.
We strive for excellence, reflect on results, and celebrate success.
We foster relationships through intentional communication and attentive listening.
We welcome feedback with a growth mindset and offer feedback with empathy.
We build trust through transparency, honesty, and humility.
We respect and attempt to meet each other’s needs at work.
We are inclusive and value the differences among us.
We listen to and acknowledge the voices of those we serve.
We are seeking passionate, experienced teaching artists with a vested interest in arts and academic integration for long term teaching opportunities at our partner schools in all five boroughs. Teaching artists must have demonstrated previous experience teaching New, ideally in NYC public school settings. We are seeking educators who share our belief in the power of experiential learning.
LEAP defines visual arts and media as the use of visual arts engagement and development of individual voice and creative expression where our youth will gain an awareness of possibilities in creative careers.
Visual Arts/Media possesses the unique ability to engage the individual and group in the process of self-discovery, group exploration, and genuine reflection.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
With Students using The LEAP Way
- Lead experiences that drive student growth in creativity, collaboration, communication, critical thinking.
- Model a growth mindset and love of learning through the LEAP Way, our creative youth development model.
- Support learners to make meaning of their experiences through routine thoughtful reflection.
With Partners as a LEAP Ambassador
- Build positive relationships with students, LEAP colleagues, and school partners.
- Communicate with professionalism and respect.
- Acknowledge, participate, respond to, and celebrate the culture of the communities that we serve.
With Peers through LEAP Professional Development
- Join the LEAP community of artists and educators through our foundational trainings.
- Invest in your growth as an educator through our Masterclass Learning Labs and Mentor coaching.
- Connect with your peers and support your practice by joining our artmaking FREEPLAY Labs.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Represent LEAP through collaborative planning with school partners to support shared goals.
- Plan engaging and active lessons that combine the arts and academics.
- Establish and deliver clear lesson objectives writing daily lesson plans using the LEAP lesson plan format and the LEAP Way.
- Prepare youroom and all materials prior to facilitating planned activities.
- Promote positive character development, a love of learning, and a growth mindset through modeling and instruction.
- Make LEAP a visible and exciting part of the school community.
- Aid in the organization and execution of student culminating performances and celebratory events.
- Work closely with the LEAP staff to gather your data, attendance, assessment, and teaching documentation.
- Attend and actively participate in required trainings and our professional development Learning Labs.
- Two (2) years of experience working with the NYC DOE (or other major city) school system
- Demonstrated excellence in new media, video gaming and podcast
- Experience successfully teaching and instructing youth in the arts
- College degree in the Arts or Education, or Equivalent Experience
- Familiarity working with Students with Disabilities and English Language Learners
- Passion for inclusion and advocacy in the arts
- Enjoy working with youth in a team environment
- Effective writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Must be punctual, responsible, resilient, and reliable
- Self-motivated, highly efficient, and able to problem-solve
- Proactive, hands-on approach, as well as a professional work ethic
- Flexible schedule and willingness to travel to multiple boroughs
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Rate Range: $45-$65, commensurate with experience
- Hours: Eligible to work up to 29hrs/week (may vary per placement and school season)
- Benefits: Eligible for NY Safe and Sick Leave
Pre-employment screening is required for this position, including but not limited to criminal history check by the NYC Department of Education, and other regulating agencies as needed per placement.
WE ARE AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
LEAP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.