SENIOR R&D ENGINEER
WHO WE ARE
Hound Labs is a breath technology company that has developed ultra-sensitive techniques for noninvasive breath measurement to fulfill unmet needs at the point of care. For its first product, Hound Labs used this groundbreaking work to create the world’s first marijuana breathalyzer to accurately and inexpensively measure recent marijuana use and alcohol in a person’s breath. Further development is underway to develop on-site diagnostics for respiratory infections such as COVID-19 and Influenza.
Founded in 2014, the Oakland-based company was created by Dr. Mike Lynn, an ER physician, reserve deputy sheriff, and former venture capitalist, his co-founder, Mr. Kuni Oh, a patent attorney with a deep background in engineering and science, and his co-founder, Ms. Jenny Lynn, a business executive with twenty years of experience launching new ventures. Benchmark, Icon Ventures, Intrinsic Capital Partners, Main Street Advisors, NFP Ventures, and individual investors have funded the Company.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Hound Labs is seeking a full-time, exempt, Senior R&D Engineer that will report to the Senior Director Engineering. The ideal candidate for this position is skilled in rapid prototyping and CAD design and is highly motivated to work in a fast-paced, small-team environment.
LOCATION: Newark, CA
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Work with the team to brainstorm new designs and directions for diagnostic systems
• Design and build mechatronic systems for testing experimental approaches
• Use above systems to run iterative mechanical experiments to debug and gain understanding for those approaches
• Bachelor's degree plus 5 years of experience, or Master’s degree plus 4 years, or Ph.D. in mechanical, electrical, or similar engineering discipline
• Significant prototyping experience—must be very comfortable designing and hand-building functional prototypes using laser cutting, 3D printing, etc.
• Willingness to ignore convention and work far outside the box, as well as willingness to continually think of alternate approaches at the risk of having to scrap the current approach
• Motivated by the prospect of making a paradigm shift in medical care
• Basic electronics proficiency—voltage dividers, op-amp circuits, etc.
• Basic microcontroller proficiency—Arduino or equivalent at minimum
• Ability to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills are essential in this collaborative work environment
• Must be comfortable in a fast-paced small team with daily updates in goals and directions
PREFERRED NOT REQUIRED
• Experience in the medical device and/or diagnostics industry
• Experience with manufacturing in and/or sourcing from East Asia
• Experience designing products for mass manufacturing (injection molding, stamping, etc)
• Experience with SolidWorks
• Experience with PCB design
• Experience working directly on diagnostic medical devices; especially low-resource diagnostics
• Can provide an aesthetic design portfolio for enclosure designs, etc.
Diversity is important at Hound Labs. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.