RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
WHO WE ARE
Hound Labs is a point-of-care health technology company that combines science and technology in novel ways to improve health and wellness. The Company believes its ultra-sensitive and portable technologies will pave the way to practical and fair solutions for some of the leading public health and safety issues. Hound Labs’ point-of-care solutions include the HOUND® COVID-19 BREATHALYZER, which captures breath samples on-location for laboratory identification of Covid-19. The Oakland-based company was founded in 2014 by a team including CEO Dr. Mike Lynn, an ER physician, reserve deputy sheriff, and former venture capitalist. Benchmark, Icon Ventures, Intrinsic Capital Partners, Main Street Advisors, NFP Ventures, and individual investors have funded the Company.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The R&D Engineer will report to the Senior Director Engineering. The ideal candidate for this position is skilled in rapid prototyping and CAD design, and is highly motivated to work in a fast-paced, small-team startup environment.
LOCATION: San Francisco East Bay Area
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
· Work with the team to brainstorm new designs and directions for diagnostic systems
· Design and build mechatronic systems for testing experimental approaches
· Use above systems to run iterative mechanical experiments to debug and gain understanding for those approaches
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in mechanical, electrical, or similar engineering
· 2+ years of prototyping experience—designing and hand-building functional prototypes using laser cutting, 3D printing, etc. (can include undergraduate coursework)
· Willingness to ignore convention and work far outside the box, as well as willingness to continually think of alternate approaches at the risk of having to scrap the current approach
· Motivated by the prospect of making a paradigm shift in medical care
· Basic electronics proficiency—voltage dividers, op-amp circuits, etc
· Basic microcontroller proficiency—Arduino or equivalent at minimum
· Ability to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential in this collaborative work environment
· Must be comfortable in a fast-paced small team with daily updates in goals and directions
PREFERRED NOT REQUIRED:
· Experience in the medical device and/or diagnostics industry
· Experience with manufacturing in and/or sourcing from East Asia
· Experience designing products for mass manufacturing (injection molding, stamping, etc)
· Experience with SolidWorks
· Experience with PCB design
· Experience working directly on diagnostic medical devices; especially low-resource diagnostics
· Can read and write in Chinese
· Can provide an aesthetic design portfolio for enclosure designs, etc.
Diversity is important at Hound Labs. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.