WHO WE ARE
Hound Labs is a point-of-care health technology company that combines science and technology in novel ways to improve health and wellness. The Company believes its ultra-sensitive and portable technologies will pave the way to practical and fair solutions for some of the leading public health and safety issues. Hound Labs’ point-of-care solutions include the HOUND® MARIJUANA BREATHALYZER2, which allows employers and law enforcement to identify recent marijuana use rapidly and accurately by testing breath on-site, and the HOUND® COVID-19 BREATHALYZER, which captures breath samples on-location for laboratory identification of Covid-19. The Oakland-based company was founded in 2014 by a team including CEO Dr. Mike Lynn, an ER physician, reserve deputy sheriff, and former venture capitalist. Benchmark, Icon Ventures, Intrinsic Capital Partners, Main Street Advisors, NFP Ventures, and individual investors have funded the Company.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Hound Labs seeks a Senior Development Engineer to join our team as we create leading edge diagnostic systems and applications. The Senior Development Engineer will be a technical contributor for the conception and evaluation of new technologies and applications as well as for the development and optimization of commercial products. This engineer will work closely with other engineers and scientists in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary, and collaborate environment on activities that will include product design, analysis and modelling, experimentation, breadboard and test rig development, and component selection. The successful candidate will have a broad set of skills and a willingness to take on new challenges.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Design, integrate, and test disposable devices for biochemical assays
- Develop breadboards for advanced product concepts
- Design and build test rigs for system and subsystem evaluation
- Perform experiments and tests in support of development activities
- Perform modelling and analysis
- Troubleshoot and debug components and subsystems
- Support NPI and production as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical discipline
- 7 years professional experience in a similar role
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience developing microfluidic devices for diagnostic or life science applications
- Experience designing plastic parts for volume production
- Experience with relevant fabrication techniques such as injection molding, ultrasonic welding, laser welding, machining, casting, and 3D printing
- Experience developing lab test software (e.g. LabView or similar, Python scripting)
- Experience working on medical devices and/or diagnostic or life science instrumentation
- Experience in one or more of the following technical domains: optics and detection, fluidics/microfluidics, diagnostic assay development
Diversity is important at Hound Labs. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.