U.S. Farmers & Ranchers in Action (USFRA) is actively seeking a passionate Sustainability Director to deliver USFRA’s mission to connect farmers and ranchers to food and agriculture stakeholders to co-create sustainable food systems. This position is slated for Q1 2022.
The Sustainability Director will lead USFRA’s sustainability program, oversee sustainability forums and meetings for Decade of Ag and Honor the Harvest, representing USFRA. On a day-to-day basis this leader will work with other leaders across the sector to advance thought leadership, facilitate working groups, and lead strategic partners in a common goal for the sector.
The Sustainability Director must have a passion for sustainability and the contributions the food and ag sector can make towards a net zero economy. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and the ability to multi-task several projects at once. In addition, be a lifelong learner, flexible and adaptable self-starter is essential.
U.S. Farmers & Ranchers in Action (USFRA), is a nonprofit, that works with farmer and rancher-led organizations, and food and agricultural partners, with a common vision to further our global sustainable food systems. We believe farmers uniquely contribute to nourishing our planet, people, and natural resources. Our focus is creating a proactive collaboration between the best minds in food, agriculture, science, and technology to co-create solutions that will result in environmental, social, and economic sustainability. Learn more at www.usfarmersandranchers.org
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead Sustainability program and Decade of Ag Action engagement
- Design and oversee the content for the Honor the Harvest forum and other Decade of Ag meetings
- Represent USFRA and the CEO in key sustainability and value chain opportunities; speaking and serving on advisory boards where appropriate
- Collaborate and provide sustainability content and perspective across the organization
- Oversight of key strategic alliance partnerships
- Manage and facilitate sustainability working groups designing collaborative meetings, facilitating choice points of stakeholders, leading the key insights, briefing papers, and business case for leadership on sustainability.
- Support fundraising and identification of prospective partners and funders.
- Motivate leaders across the value chain to engage and support the Decade of Ag and other USFRA programs and initiatives
- Provide thought leadership and perspectives on sustainability and climate issues, developments, and opportunities
- Communicate strategically to simplify complex ideas through the lens of stakeholders
- Collaborate to deliver defined measurable outcomes in Sustainability programs and support other programs and initiatives
- Engage colleagues in authentic relationships to advance the mission and vision of USFRA
- Provide strategic and long term focus for design and support of programs and initiatives
- Provide leadership in an environment of change and high-level focus
- Work closely with Communications Director, CEO and leadership on delivering USFRA mission
- Ideal candidate will be a genuine thought leader in the space, USFRA is a leading organization advancing the topic of the sustainable food systems of the future. The ideal candidate wants to be part of leading the conversation and catalyzing leaders towards action
- Understanding of sustainable food supply chain or agriculture is an added plus
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills with senior leaders, stakeholders and partner organizations to create the business case for sustainability
- Design and facilitation of external meetings and forums
- One on one engagement skills
- Ability to leverage internal and external resources
- Strong project management capabilities (scope, resources (financial and human), and time management, with choice point management and goal orientation
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who has the ability to navigate ambiguity to achieve results
- Proven results in meeting deadlines consistently
- Flexible and able to work in a start-up environment
- Consummate collaborator and adept at working across multiple teams both internally and externally
- Ability to take direction and channel it into progressive work
- Ability to excel in internal and external environments
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and able to manage multiple projects
- 10+ years leading engagement or outreach program. Ideal backgrounds include leadership at brands, NGO, or strategy/sustainability consulting firm
- Experience in the field of agriculture, food and/or sustainability is strongly desired
- Proven track record in building the business case for sustainability, must have high communication and analytical skills. Comfortable presenting to executives/leaders of partner organizations.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills; including experience writing technical reports or white papers
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Adobe Professional
- Excellent analytical skills
- Comfortable with email building and communications websites such as Constant Contact and Salesforce Marketing cloud
- Working knowledge of Zoom, SharePoint, Box, CRMs, Salesforce and Monday.com is a plus
This position will require 30-40% domestic travel throughout the year. Currently travel is on hold due to COVID.
This is a largely sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.