U.S. Farmers & Ranchers in Action (USFRA) is actively seeking a passionate Sustainability Director to deliver USFRA’s mission to connect farmers and ranchers to food and agriculture stakeholders to co-create sustainable food systems.
The Sustainability Director will lead USFRA’s sustainability program, oversee sustainability forums and meetings for Decade of Ag and Honor the Harvest, representing USFRA. On a day-to-day basis this leader will work with other leaders across the sector to advance thought leadership, facilitate working groups, and lead strategic partners in a common goal for the sector.
The Sustainability Director must have a passion for sustainability and the contributions the food and ag sector can make towards a net zero economy. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and the ability to multi-task several projects at once. In addition, be a lifelong learner, flexible and adaptable self-starter is essential.
U.S. Farmers & Ranchers in Action (USFRA), is a nonprofit, that works with farmer and rancher-led organizations, and food and agricultural partners, with a common vision to further our global sustainable food systems. We believe farmers uniquely contribute to nourishing our planet, people, and natural resources. Our focus is creating a proactive collaboration between the best minds in food, agriculture, science, and technology to co-create solutions that will result in environmental, social, and economic sustainability. Learn more at www.usfarmersandranchers.org
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead Sustainability program and Decade of Ag Action engagement
- Design and oversee the content for the Honor the Harvest forum and other Decade of Ag meetings
- Represent USFRA and the CEO in key sustainability and value chain opportunities; speaking and serving on advisory boards where appropriate
- Collaborate and provide sustainability content and perspective across the organization
- Oversight of key strategic alliance partnerships
- Manage and facilitate sustainability working groups designing collaborative meetings, facilitating choice points of stakeholders, leading the key insights, briefing papers, and business case for leadership on sustainability.
- Support fundraising and identification of prospective partners and funders.
- Motivate leaders across the value chain to engage and support the Decade of Ag and other USFRA programs and initiatives
- Provide thought leadership and perspectives on sustainability and climate issues, developments, and opportunities
- Communicate strategically to simplify complex ideas through the lens of stakeholders
- Collaborate to deliver defined measurable outcomes in Sustainability programs and support other programs and initiatives
- Engage colleagues in authentic relationships to advance the mission and vision of USFRA
- Provide strategic and long term focus for design and support of programs and initiatives
- Provide leadership in an environment of change and high-level focus
- Work closely with Communications Director, CEO and leadership on delivering USFRA mission
- Ideal candidate will be a genuine thought leader in the space, USFRA is a leading organization advancing the topic of the sustainable food systems of the future. The ideal candidate wants to be part of leading the conversation and catalyzing leaders towards action
- Understanding of sustainable food supply chain or agriculture is an added plus
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills with senior leaders, stakeholders and partner organizations to create the business case for sustainability
- Design and facilitation of external meetings and forums
- One on one engagement skills
- Ability to leverage internal and external resources
- Strong project management capabilities (scope, resources (financial and human), and time management, with choice point management and goal orientation
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who has the ability to navigate ambiguity to achieve results
- Proven results in meeting deadlines consistently
- Flexible and able to work in a start-up environment
- Consummate collaborator and adept at working across multiple teams both internally and externally
- Ability to take direction and channel it into progressive work
- Ability to excel in internal and external environments
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and able to manage multiple projects
- 10+ years leading engagement or outreach program. Ideal backgrounds include leadership at brands, NGO, or strategy/sustainability consulting firm
- Experience in the field of agriculture, food and/or sustainability is strongly desired
- Proven track record in building the business case for sustainability, must have high communication and analytical skills. Comfortable presenting to executives/leaders of partner organizations.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills; including experience writing technical reports or white papers
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Adobe Professional
- Excellent analytical skills
- Comfortable with email building and communications websites such as Constant Contact and Salesforce Marketing cloud
- Working knowledge of Zoom, SharePoint, Box, CRMs, Salesforce and Monday.com is a plus
This position will require 30-40% domestic travel throughout the year. Currently travel is on hold due to COVID.
This is a largely sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.