We seek a high-energy person who knows how to get things done with tact and aplomb to create and implement a strategic communications plan for HxA. The Director of Communications will be responsible for public relations, brand management, marketing, and media relations. Responsibilities will span web content, social media, editorial and publication production and internal communications. The position reports to the Executive Director, is a member of the senior leadership team and, pending organizational growth, will supervise a part-time Communications Assistant. Our Director of Communications will liaise with our external media consultant and will collaborate closely with our internal scholars to frame the organization’s work and to influence the broader academic community.
Specific duties include:
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of HxA, refine our message, ensure its consistent delivery across departments and platforms, and strengthen our brand identity across multiple platforms and in multiple sectors, with primary emphasis in higher education
- Create high-impact, multi-channel communications that educate our audiences, shift narratives and grow and mobilize our supporter base
- Serve as the point person for all public relations and media related matters including pitching, creating, and disseminating press materials and organizing interviews and media-related visits
- Employ social media monitoring and response strategies to manage HxA’s brand and insert it strategically into relevant conversations online via Facebook and Twitter
- Work with the leadership team to market special events, recruit members, brand new initiatives, and garner positive media coverage
- In conjunction with others on the leadership team, coordinate the production of HxA printed and electronic materials for our various audiences including newsletters and fundraising materials for donors; bulletins, tools, and resources for members; and editorial essays and announcements aimed at the general public.
- Manage the HxA website including content posting, updates, and coordination with related vendors for technical upgrades and improvements
- Manage relationships with any communications related vendors and consultants
- Collect and report on key organizational metrics such as site traffic, social media engagement, and others
- Maintain up to date and accurate contact information in our Salesforce database for media contacts, outreach, etc.
- Other duties as required
Duties are performed independently and involve planning, attention to detail, initiative, and follow through. Work is performed without close review and involves knowledge of the organization, its interests, partners, and personnel, and the exercise of frequent independent judgement in making administrative decisions.
This full-time, at-will position starts immediately. While most hours will be scheduled during the work week at our NYC office, there will be a good deal of flexibility in when, where and how you work. Some evening or weekend hours may be required to support high-profile events.
- Bachelor’s degree, or any combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- 2 to 5 years of related experience
- Prior work in the academic world and/or a non-profit organization
- Track-record of high-profile media engagement (publications in mainstream media outlets, media interviews, etc.) desired
- Previous experience planning and executing email marketing programming for academic or scholarly space desired
- Website management experience including development, updates, and content a plus
- Google Ads experience a plus
- Blog management/editorial experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Dispositions: You would be a good fit for our team if the following attributes describe you:
- Political tolerance and flexibility. We don’t care what your politics are, but you must be able to respect and advocate for the inclusion of progressive, conservative, and libertarian ideas and scholars.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to effectively track the status of multiple ongoing projects and find needed documents and information quickly. Ability to independently organize, plan, prioritize, and carry out responsibilities, and to finish tasks by established deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Personal integrity, professionalism, empathy, resourcefulness, and a commitment to high standards of work quality and maintaining confidentiality.
- Persistent and creative problem-solver and opportunity-seeker. The willingness/ability to anticipate problems, seek out information, and show persistence in finding solutions. We are a young organization with incredible potential to create positive change on college campuses. We seek an entrepreneurial colleague who can help us realize our potential.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to write clearly and powerfully; to edit and proofread; and to ensure high-quality, high-impact work.
- Excellent technology skills. Demonstrated fluency with the technologies of the trade such as Content Management Systems (CMS) like Wordpress, best-practices for Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and social media tools such as HootSuite, Tweetdeck or similar products. Database (Salesforce preferred) and email marketing tool (such as MailChimp, Marketto, Pardot, etc.) experience required. Asana or other project management tool a plus.
Applications received by December 15, 2018, will receive full consideration.
Reports To: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Part-time Communications Assistant (pending organizational growth)
Location: New York City (SoHo)