Opening Date: July 22, 2021. Open until filled.
Salary: $75,000 - $92,000 a year (based on experience), comprehensive benefits and meaningful work in an environment that values excellence.
OneStar’s mission is to strengthen Texas communities by creating pathways for individuals and organizations to engage, connect, and accelerate their impact. For over four decades there has been an acknowledgment by the State of Texas of the critical importance of civic engagement and volunteering to the strength of our communities. From the creation of the Texas Center for Volunteer Action in 1976 to the formation of its eventual successor, OneStar Foundation in 2004, Texas has maintained its support of a strong nonprofit sector.
Today, OneStar carries out its mission for state government as a supporting nonprofit of the Office of the Governor. We serve as the state’s Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives and the State Service Commission, managing a portfolio of approximately $18.8 million in federal grant funds for AmeriCorps Texas programs. OneStar focuses on strengthening the nonprofit sector, encouraging civic engagement through service and volunteering, and building disaster resiliency across Texas. We are One Texas, united in building resilient and thriving communities.
At OneStar, we are committed to be an exemplary employer, where our employees are our greatest asset. OneStar believes we should model the leadership we hope to see in our communities by embracing a culture and values based on adaptability & learning, diversity, equity & inclusion, partnerships & shared purpose, transparency & trust, and always doing our best work for our fellow Texans.
ABOUT THE POSITION: CONTROLLER
OneStar seeks to fill the full-time position of Controller. This position performs highly advanced financial accounting and financial management work and is responsible for the financial operations of OneStar Foundation and OneStar National Service Commission including systems for reporting program and financial activities and safeguarding the assets of the organization. The Controller position performs advanced professional work under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
1. Develops goals and objectives for assigned responsibility areas.
2. Develops methods for the control of cash receipts, deposits, and disbursements; the purchase of services, supplies, and equipment; the documentation of claims for payment; and the preparation and processing of payrolls in conjunction with the Director of Operations
3. Recommends and implements departmental accounting policies and procedures in accordance with statute and professionally accepted standards.
4. Applies generally accepted accounting principles in the recording and reporting of the financial activities of the agency and ensures the use of efficient accounting systems to control transactions.
5. Allocates state and federal funds to OneStar’s operating programs and develops suitable plans for validating and matching the various federal funds used in financing departmental operations.
6. Compiles reports on the analysis and interpretation of expenditure patterns, budget projections, and the financial position of the agency.
7. Prepares budget to actual reports to provide management with expenditure data and trends, informs management of budget deviations, problems, and events likely to affect operations, explains causes, and measures impact on OneStar’s mission and resources.
8. Operates Abila accounting software and maintains the overall quality control of the accounting system and ensures the integrity of the system.
9. Maintains accuracy of general ledgers and manages organizational cash flow.
10. Develops plans and strategies for finance in support of OneStar’s strategic plan and goals. Stays current on innovative approaches to financial transactions, workflow of staff, and opportunities for cost and/or time-saving methodologies. Implements financial management improvement plans that streamline and improve current processes.
11. Provides Boards and management with regular reporting regarding the organization’s financial status.
12. Provides excellent service and timely communication with grantors donors, staff, and auditors.
13. Manages finance functions to ensure smooth operations. Creates reports for projects related to financial management and manages workflow internal to the finance area.
14. Plans for and manages the audit by an outside independent auditor, providing schedules and information as required. Accountable for financial reporting in accordance with federal, state and grantor reporting requirements.
15. Develops financial forecasts and reports regarding key performance indicators as established by the Boards and the President.
16. Serves as a consultant on the financial aspects of program planning.
17. Provides research and analysis on other projects as requested by the CEO and President.
18. Aligns work duties with the OneStar Mission and Vision.
19. Exemplifies OneStar Core Beliefs and adheres to the Code of Ethics.
20. May be assigned to cross-functional teams to support OneStar goals and initiatives.
21. May perform other duties as assigned consistent with current duties and responsibilities.
1. 7+ years related experience, preferably in a state or local government or a non-profit environment that has multiple sources of governmental grant funding.
2. Understanding and commitment to OneStar’s mission and strategies and to all its programs and initiatives.
3. Experience and understanding of working with faith-based, grassroots community organizations, and/or other social service sector organizations preferred.
4. Must thrive in a work environment of significant growth, development, and change.
5. Graduation from an accredited four-year university with major coursework in accounting, business, finance, or related field. Master’s degree preferred. Certification as a Public Accountant is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Ability to make well-reasoned decisions as part of a team and in the best interests of the organization for the present and future and the ability to work collaboratively and effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
2. Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Proactively communicates with the President / CEO, Director of Operations, OneStar staff, and Board. Cognizant of OneStar’s requirement for timely and respectful responses to inquiries.
3. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to prioritize work effectively and adjust to multiple demands. Experience in creating realistic project budgets and timelines.
4. Computer literacy with financial accounting systems and Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Abila accounting software a plus
5. Highly motivated, with the ability to work independently, take initiative, participate as an effective team member, and follow tasks through to completion.
6. Comfort in working respectfully with persons of diverse backgrounds.
7. Ability to complete a high volume of work at a consistently high level of quality.
8. Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions; to analyze complex information and effectively communicate it to others.
9. Strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain cooperative, professional and productive work relationships with others.
EOE. OneStar Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer. OneStar prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. OneStar conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
It is the policy of OneStar Foundation to comply with all the relevant and applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). OneStar will not discriminate against any qualified employee or job applicant with respect to any terms, privileges, or conditions of employment, because of a person's physical or mental disability. OneStar will also make reasonable accommodation wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with disabilities, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made do not impose an undue hardship on OneStar.