OneStar’s mission is to equip Texas communities to meet their needs by convening partners across sectors to build the capacity of nonprofits, promoting service and volunteerism, and investing in effective solutions. For over four decades there has been an acknowledgment by the State of Texas of the critical importance of civic engagement and volunteering to the strength of our communities. From the creation of the Texas Center for Volunteer Action in 1976 to the formation of its eventual successor, OneStar Foundation in 2004, Texas has maintained its support of a strong nonprofit sector.
Today, OneStar carries out its mission for state government as a supporting nonprofit of the Office of the Governor. We serve as the state’s Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives and the State Service Commission, managing a portfolio of approximately $18.2 million in federal grant funds for AmeriCorps*Texas programs. OneStar focuses on strengthening the nonprofit sector, encouraging civic engagement through service and volunteering, promoting innovative strategies to address local issues and facilitating public-private partnerships to expand the reach of the sector.
OneStar is recognized statewide as an advocate for service and volunteering, a neutral convener and a respected business partner to foundations, state agencies, and the business community. Together we can make a stronger more vibrant Texas with opportunities for all to serve.
At OneStar, we are committed to be an exemplary employer, where our employees are our greatest asset, by embracing a culture of teamwork with open and honest communication, a common vision and sense of purpose, regular celebration of success, courage and perseverance to take risks, personal integrity, continuous learning and empowerment.
Provides leadership and oversight of OneStar’s community engagement and partnership initiatives, including communications, disaster services, external networks, government relations, and volunteerism. Reports to the President/CEO, serving as a senior advisor and integral member of the senior leadership team. The Director of Community Affairs position performs advanced professional work under minimal supervision with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
1. In collaboration with the President/CEO, establishes priorities, short and long-term goals, and performance objectives for community engagement and partnership initiatives that align with OneStar’s mission, vision and overall strategic objectives.
2. Provides strategic oversight and direction of OneStar’s activities related to community engagement and partnership initiatives, including communications, disaster services and the Rebuild Texas Fund, external networks, government relations, and volunteerism, ensuring activities are in alignment with the OneStar Mission, Vision, and strategic plan.
3. Supports the President/CEO and board in effective advocacy and public policy outreach efforts, including meeting with elected officials, analyzing legislation and government activity, directing the development and dissemination of communications, coordinating with OneStar’s networks and partners, and testifying as needed.
4. In collaboration with the President/CEO, plans and implements strategies to secure grants, donations and other resources in support of assigned strategic initiatives.
5. Coordinates and serves as OneStar’s liaison to the Nonprofit Management Alliance of Texas, Academic Affinity Group, and Texas Interagency Coordinating Group.
6. Directs and regularly reviews the work of team members, developing methods to achieve and measure established goals while ensuring work is executed efficiently and with a high level of quality. Evaluates the performance of direct reports on at least an annual basis.
7. In collaboration with other key staff, oversees development of primary communication tools promoting OneStar activities including newsletters, annual report, website postings, special publications, video productions, etc.
8. Leads from a philosophy that emphasizes trust, personal responsibility and initiative at all levels of the organization, a shared commitment to OneStar’s organizational values, and an upward path of mobility that is supported by coaching, regular feedback, and professional development.
9. Manages with a philosophy that encourages making decisions at the lowest appropriate level. Equips team members with knowledge and information and empowers team members to effectively define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and provide recommendations.
10. Ensures that systems, policies, and/or procedures are in place to produce excellence in the management of resources, including compliance with applicable regulations and grant requirements, providing the highest level of accountability for the use of public funds.
11. Develops budgets for executive review. Controls expenditures in accordance with budget allocations and OneStar policies and procedures.
12. Ensures team members contribute to OneStar’s thought leadership efforts by developing and disseminating knowledge and resources to internal and external stakeholders.
13. Supports the President/CEO in fulfilling responsibilities to the OneStar Boards of Directors related to assigned strategic initiatives.
14. Serves as a member of OneStar’s senior leadership team, attending regular meetings during which directors keep each other updated on their work, discuss coordination of work between areas and address cross-functional issues that affect multiple OneStar work areas.
15. May represent OneStar by providing remarks or presentations at meetings, conferences, events and other functions.
16. Aligns work duties with the OneStar Mission and Vision.
17. Exemplifies OneStar’s Values for a Culture of Teamwork.
18. May perform other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
· Graduation from an accredited university (in special cases equivalent work experience may be substituted for this requirement); advanced degree preferred.
· 7+ years of relevant work experience, preferably in a state or local government or a non-profit environment
· Demonstrated skills in management, planning, staff supervision and development. Successful managerial experience in leading a team and mentoring/coaching staff.
· Demonstrated experience and understanding of working with government, faith-based, grassroots community organizations, and/or other social service sector organizations.
· Experience working with the Texas State Legislature preferred.
· Experience working in Emergency Management or Disaster Recovery preferred.
· Understanding and commitment to the OneStar mission, vision and values.
· Willing to travel in Texas, and occasionally to other states (approximately 20% time).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Superior interpersonal, verbal, managerial, and written communication skills.
· Familiarity with various stakeholder groups within the government and nonprofit sectors
· Skill and comfort speaking publicly in a wide variety of advocacy, public policy and/or public relations venues
· Knowledge and experience with Texas legislative process, state agency policy making processes, and the state budget
· Ability to lead and provide oversight to staff with issue area expertise.
· Ability to evaluate data for reasonableness, necessity, and conformity with grant requirements.
· An entrepreneurial spirit and creative approach to program and strategy development.
· Knowledge of and commitment to national service programs and initiatives preferred.
· Ability to make well-reasoned decisions as part of a team and in the best interests of the organization.
· Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
· Excellent organizational skills, project management abilities, and attention to detail while delegating some responsibility to direct reports.
· Ability to prioritize work effectively and adjust to multiple demands.
· Knowledge of budgeting and project management.
· Ability to thrive and be productive in an environment of significant growth, development, and change.
· Highly motivated, with the ability to work independently, take initiative, participate as an effective team member and follow tasks through to completion.
· Comfort in working respectfully with persons of diverse faith backgrounds.
· Ability to complete a high volume of work at a consistently high level of quality.