Job Vacancy : Buyer/Purchaser
Date: October 2023
Location: Madison (WI), Oak Ridge (TN), Boston (MA) or Vancouver (BC)
Salary: Highly Competitive Plus Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: 1099 Contract (Fixed Term)
Reporting to: Chief Operations Officer
About Type One Energy
At Type One Energy we believe that our employees are our greatest asset. We are committed to creating a positive and supportive work environment where everyone feels valued and respected. We value diversity, inclusion, and equity, and are committed to providing our employees with the resources and opportunities they need to succeed
The company was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
Type One Energy are looking for an experienced Buyer/Purchaser for our magnet procurement activities. You will play a pivotal role in ensuring the timely and cost-effective sourcing of related materials for the development of our magnets and FusionDirect program.
You will work closely with suppliers, internal stakeholders, and senior leadership team to streamline the procurement process. You will optimize costs, and maintain a steady supply of support to our production needs and magnet procurement activities. This position requires strong negotiation skills, market analysis, and the ability to foster long-term supplier relationships.
· Develop and implement a procurement strategy for our magnet procurement activities, aligning with the organization's goals and objectives.
· Identify and evaluate potential suppliers, conducting market research to ensure competitive pricing.
· Build and maintain strong relationships with existing and potential suppliers.
· Negotiate terms and agreements with suppliers to secure favorable pricing, lead times, and quality standards.
· Monitor supplier performance, addressing any quality or delivery issues promptly.
· Continuously analyze market trends, pricing fluctuations, and supply chain risks to make informed procurement decisions.
· Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand and forecast requirements.
· Identify opportunities for cost reduction through negotiation, volume purchasing, and supplier consolidation.
· Work closely with the Finance department to ensure accurate cost tracking and budget adherence.
· Monitor and address any quality issues, conducting supplier audits if necessary.
· Maintain accurate records of procurement activities, contracts, and supplier information.
· Generate regular reports on procurement performance, cost savings, and supplier evaluations.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management, Business, or a related field (preferred).
· Proven experience in procurement, with a focus on sourcing materials for large scale engineering projects.
· Minimum 5 years of experience in purchasing/buying.
· Strong negotiation and contract management skills.
· Familiarity with quality assurance and quality control processes.
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Proficiency in using procurement software and tools.
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
· Knowledge of regulatory compliance related to procurement activities.
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.