Job Vacancy : Design Engineer
Date: Novemberr 2023
Location: Oak Ridge (TN), Madison (WI), Boston (MA) or Vancouver (BC)
Salary: Highly Competitive Plus Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Director of Engineering and Chief Engineer
About Type One Energy
At Type One Energy we believe that our employees are our greatest asset. We are committed to creating a positive and supportive work environment where everyone feels valued and respected. We value diversity, inclusion, and equity, and are committed to providing our employees with the resources and opportunities they need to succeed
The company was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
The Type One Energy Technology Division is seeking an experienced Design Engineer with first of a kind design and integration skills. The Technology Division is responsible for the Risk Retirement Platform (RRP), a medium scale stellarator that will demonstrate the performance of a highly optimized stellarator magnetic field configuration as well as the viability of high temperature superconducting stellarator magnets to produce that field configuration.
Following successful design, fabrication, and operation of the RRP, Type One Energy will begin construction of a Fusion Pilot Plant (FPP). This plant will demonstrate production of electrical power in the 100 MW range with a closed fuel cycle.
The primary function of this position is to provide conceptual, preliminary and final design of systems and components for the RRP. This will be followed by design of systems and components for the FPP as well as developing procurement packages.
- Translate design requirements into functional stellarator components and systems.
- Develop system and component designs and associated technical specifications for RRP systems.
- Analyze and align the interface requirements between and among stellarator systems.
- Develop procurement packages for the fabrication of stellarator components and act as Technical Project Officer for these procurements, monitoring the fabrication cost and schedule as well as resolving technical questions which may occur during the fabrication efforts.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline, Master’s degree is preferred.
- Experience with design of first of a kind components.
- Familiarity with Computer Aided Design and Analysis software
- Experience with design of fusion energy systems and equipment is desirable
- Experience in monitoring fabrication facilities to assure requirements and schedule are met, while controlling cost.
- Experience with NX CAD software.
- Experience operating within a PDM environment in CAD
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
To apply for this fantastic position and for more information please visit our website at www.typeoneenergy.com/careers.