Job Vacancy : CAD Designer
Date: November 2023
Location: Oak Ridge (TN), Madison (WI), Boston (MA) or Vancouver (BC)
Salary: Highly Competitive Plus Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: VP of Engineering and Director of Engineering
About Type One Energy
At Type One Energy we believe that our employees are our greatest asset. We are committed to creating a positive and supportive work environment where everyone feels valued and respected. We value diversity, inclusion, and equity, and are committed to providing our employees with the resources and opportunities they need to succeed.
The company was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
The Type One Energy Technology Division is seeking a CAD Designer for a technical professional position with emphasis on first of a kind design and integration. The Technology Division is responsible for the Risk Retirement Platform (RRP), a medium scale stellarator that will demonstrate the performance of a highly optimized stellarator magnetic field configuration as well as the viability of high temperature superconducting stellarator magnets to produce that field configuration.
Following successful design, fabrication, and operation of the RRP, Type One Energy will begin construction of a Fusion Pilot Plant (FPP). This plant will demonstrate production of electrical power in the 100 MW range with a closed fuel cycle.
The primary responsibility of the CAD Designer is to create the computer aided modeling required to enable the design and fabrication of both the RRP and the FPP.
- Translate mechanical design requirements into an integrated 3D configuration model.
- Develop interfaces between and among stellarator systems and resolve any conflicts
- Develop accurate cad models based on given specifications.
- Converting CAD models into technical drawings for fabrication, accurate and concise callouts for fabrication specifications, and help coordinate the fabrication of components.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Candidates must have a BS degree in Engineering and 5 years of design related experience or 10 years of design experience.
- Five years of experience using commercial CAD software, as well as an understanding of ANSI callouts, machining practices, and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerances (GD&T).
- The candidate must have proficiency using Creo or Siemens NX computer aided design software.
- Experience with design of fusion energy systems and equipment is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, presentation, and writing skills are required to enable effective interaction with technical peers, program managers, and sponsors
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
To apply for this fantastic position and for more information please visit our website at www.typeoneenergy.com/careers.