Company: Type One Energy Group, Inc. (d.b.a. Type One Energy)
Job Vacancy: Fusion Researcher (NOC 21100)
Location: 1140 West Pender St, Suite 440 Vancouver, BC, V6E 0A2, Canada
Salary: Base salary of Canadian $150,000 to $185,000 per year based on work experience, plus discretionary bonus of up to 15% of base salary.
Hours: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Contract Type: Permanent
Language of Work: English
Reporting to: Chief Technology Officer
About Type One Energy
Type One Energy Group was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
Type One Energy is seeking a Fusion Researcher for the development of key technologies of a net-energy-producing stellarator fusion power plant. The job focuses on developing computational tools and the technologies for sensor- and control systems to characterize and control the plasma edge region and the surrounding components in a high-magnetic-field stellarator.
· Develop and refine advanced computational tools and models to simulate the behavior of plasma edge regions in high-magnetic-field stellarators.
· Implement algorithms and codes to accurately model plasma dynamics, heat and particle transport, and plasma-material interactions.
· Design and develop sensor systems to measure key plasma parameters in the edge region of a high-magnetic-field stellarator.
· Implement real-time monitoring and control systems to ensure plasma stability, control plasma density, and manage heat loads on plasma-facing components.
· Analyze data to characterize the behavior of the plasma edge region in a high-magnetic-field stellarator.
· Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of physicists, engineers, and researchers to integrate your research findings into the overall design and development of a stellarator fusion power plant.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Minimum a PhD in plasma physics or a closely related field.
· Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience post PhD.
· Experience with developing and using diagnostic techniques relevant to plasma characterization i.e. electrostatic/electromagnetic probes and light emission spectroscopy
· Experience with fusion energy research, and possess relevant technological and engineering skills.
· Experience with simulation packages such as COMSOL and modern programming languages such as Python.
· Relevant work experience in feature engineering or topological optimization and a proven track record of innovation in a technological field
· Ability to communicate complex technological material to a broader audience, as evidenced through lecturing or public outreach.
· Experience with Machine Learning is an asset
· Four weeks of paid vacation per year.
· Life and accidental death insurance.
· Long term disability cover
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening,. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
1140 West Pender St, Suite 440 Vancouver, BC, V6E 0A2, Canada
Telephone: +1 608 616 5965 Extn. 2