Job Vacancy : Senior Fusion Scientist- Blankets
Date: August 2023
Location: Madison (WI), Oak Ridge (TN), Boston (MA) or Vancouver (BC)
Salary: Highly Competitive Plus Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Chief Science Officer
About Type One Energy
The company was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
We are seeking a highly skilled Senior Fusion Scientist specializing in tritium breeding blankets to join our team here at Type One Energy. You will play a pivotal role in the design, development, and optimization of tritium breeding blanket systems for our stellarator fusion reactor. Your expertise in blanket design, neutronics modelling & analysis, radiation protection and materials science will contribute to the advancement of our fusion energy technology. To develop and demonstrate a viable blanket concept, we will leverage the expertise that exists in the public sector, so you will also be responsible for managing relationships with third party stakeholders.
You will be responsible for neutronic analyses of a variety of prospective blanket concepts and configurations. This will be carried out using the Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code (MCNP) and OpenMC and the corresponding CAD based versions in DAG-MCNP and DAG-OpenMC. You will also have responsibility for managing a wide variety of design configurations to best satisfy all our objectives, including oversight of thermal analyses and material compatibility assessments. An important component of your role will be to ensure a dynamic interface with and support to our regulatory affairs functional area for the development of our safety cases for pre-licensing and licensing regulatory reviews, and the development of our radiation protection program. You will also interact with our remote handling group to assess radiation levels during maintenance operations.
· Design and develop innovative tritium breeding blanket concepts, considering factors such as neutron energy capture, tritium production efficiency, and heat transfer capabilities.
· Evaluate and select appropriate materials for the tritium breeding blanket, considering their compatibility with high-energy neutrons, tritium extraction methods, and long-term performance.
· Conduct experiments and tests to assess material behavior under fusion reactor conditions.
· Perform neutronics calculations and simulations to analyze neutron flux, energy deposition, tritium breeding ratios within the tritium breeding blanket, radiological inventories and source terms and dose conversion for practical evaluation against regulated dose limits.
· Assess blanket lifetime under reactor conditions to determine maintenance intervals.
· Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams including Physicists, Engineers, and Technicians to integrate the tritium breeding blanket into overall fusion reactor designs.
· Conduct risk assessments and implement appropriate safety measures throughout the tritium breeding blanket development process.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Ph.D. in Physics, Materials Science, Nuclear or Mechanical Engineering, Health Physics or a related field with a focus on fusion.
· Proven expertise in tritium breeding blanket design, neutron interactions, and fusion reactor technology.
· Experience in performing neutronics calculations and utilizing simulation tools for tritium breeding analysis.
· In-depth knowledge of materials science, including materials selection, radiation effects & radiation protection, and compatibility is desirable.
· Proficiency in relevant software tools for data analysis, modelling, and simulation.
· Excellent communicator with experience of liaising with third party stakeholders, ideally in the public sector.
· Strong organizational and project management abilities, with the capability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.