Job Vacancy : Mechanical Engineer (Magnet Team)
Location: Madison (WI), Oak Ridge (TN), Boston (MA) or Vancouver (BC)
Salary: Highly Competitive Plus Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Chief Technology Officer and VP of Magnet Program
About Type One Energy
At Type One Energy we believe that our employees are our greatest asset. We are committed to creating a positive and supportive work environment where everyone feels valued and respected. We value diversity, inclusion, and equity, and are committed to providing our employees with the resources and opportunities they need to succeed
The company was formed in 2019 by a team of globally-recognized fusion scientists with a strong track record of building state-of-art stellarator fusion machines, together with veteran business leaders experienced in successfully scaling companies and commercializing energy technologies.
Type One Energy applies proven advanced manufacturing methods, modern computational physics and high-field superconducting magnets to develop its optimized stellarator fusion energy system. Its FusionDirect development program pursues the lowest-risk, shortest-schedule path to a fusion power plant over the coming decade, using a partner-intensive and capital-efficient strategy. For more information, visit https://www.typeoneenergy.com/
About the role
We are seeking a highly motivated Mechanical Engineers to join our team to design, build and test building High Temperature Superconducting (HTS) magnets from scratch. The ideal candidate will have experience with Solidworks or Ansys APDL, and hands on design and build experience of large scale projects. The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for designing, testing, and building HTS magnets for use in our stellarator technology.
You will collaborate with other Engineers to build HTS magnets from scratch and be involved with large metal structure design, slip modelling, stress limited design, electro-mechanical design, and additive/subtractive manufacturing.
· Design, build, analyze, and test HTS magnets for use in our stellarator technology.
· Develop specifications and requirements for the HTS magnets based on the system design and performance goals.
· Create designs using Solidworks and other key engineering software to optimize the HTS magnet performance.
· Participate in HTS magnet testing and data analysis to ensure magnets meet performance specifications.
· Develop and maintain documentation related to the design, fabrication, testing, and performance of the HTS magnets.
· Work closely with other members of the engineering team to integrate the HTS magnets into the overall stellarator technology.
· Stay current with the latest developments in HTS magnet technology and their application in the fusion sector.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering or related field.
· Proven experience in large mechanical engineering projects in a similar engineering environment.
· Proven experience of hands on mechanical design and build.
· Proficient in Solidworks or Ansys APDL.
· Knowledge of large metal structure design, slip modelling, stress limited design, electro-mechanical design, or additive/subtractive manufacturing.
· Knowledge of cryogenic and vacuum systems is desirable.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work in a fast paced team environment.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Familiarity with welding, CNC operation, robotics is also desirable.
Equality of Opportunity
Type One Energy is An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.